PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2004, 9:10 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I worked some in the shop on Saturday. Had a fellow SMC member, Billy Reynolds come by and I gave him a lesson on pen turning. I'll let him do the gloating when he gets around to it.

Finished putting a weather protectant on the other 4 adirondack chairs and two are now sitting at my buddies house. No shop time on Sunday just went to church and then last night went and saw and listened to a groups of fellers called: <B>"The Bar J Wranglers"</B>

Any you boys like Western Cowboy music? These are the fellers to go see or listen to. This guys are GREAT!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks....

Bob Hovde
05-24-2004, 9:25 AM
Got the footer dug for my garage "lathe room" extension. Now I have to get it inspected and the slab laid before the thunderstorms hit later this week. (Pics later.) If all that gets done, I can start the walls on Memorial Day. We're going up to Nashville to the Grand Ole Opry Saturday. The Opry's OK, but the best thing is that there's a Woodcraft store just south of Nashville!

Bob

Dan Mages
05-24-2004, 9:25 AM
Sucked up a lot of rain water off the basement floor... At least it gave me an opportunity to clean out the basement and haul 3 mini van loads of old stuff to Goodwill.

Dan

Tyler Howell
05-24-2004, 9:36 AM
Great weekend. Rained and rained some more. I might have to call Rochester Dave for his source of Gopher wood and cubit stick. With the rain there was no yard work:( :rolleyes: so had to resort to SHOPPING. :D :D Spent all weekend making saw dust and knocking out punch list items. Completed the pantry sub floor No squeaks, creeks our pops. Thin set and cement board's next. Got the thumbs up on tile selection from visiting guests.

One completed task was plumbing in AC and AC reels for the garage. Can't say enough about the convenience. No cords/hoses to drag out, trip over, and put back. I have another 100 ft of 3/8" hose for sight projects, but right in the shop this can't be beat.
Air is plumbed with 3/4 copper. AC is 20A GFIC protected circuit. Reels are 50ft 3/8" hose and 40 ft 12 gage respectively..(Safety note) Most AC outlets installed for the garage door opener are not GFIC protected. CYA.

Jim Becker
05-24-2004, 9:58 AM
As predicted, it was an eclectic weekend around here. I managed to mow the grass late Friday afternoon after a fun-filled day of conference calls. That left other landscaping endeavors for Saturday as well as some chain saw work on a few cherry and ash log sections and it was hot, hot, hot...I actually took a shower and changed clothes BEFORE I went into the shop for more woodworking-oriented pursuits!

Once in the shop, I put some time in roughing out a few bowls from the logs I had just processed. This is the first time I've gone the rough-turned-to-dry route and it will be interesting to see how it works out. The two ash and one cherry bowls, as well as some additional cherry bowls are shown in picture one.

Sunday, it was back out in the heat. Dr. SWMBO brought the birdcages outside so we could give them a good "sping cleaning" with the pressure washer and given the machine was plugged in and hosed up, it naturally resulted in cleaning the entire deck system. I'm not sure what was wetter...the high humidity or my shoes and clothing. After that, I got back in the shop to cut down the walnut I had previously milled in preparation for building a buffet for our dining room. I also got the panels for the top and bottom glued up as shown in picture two. Picture three illustrates how to cut a 7" wide board out of a wider piece where the sapwood was at an angle...sometimes the path to a useful board starts with an angled cut!;)

No DVD of the week this week...we forgot after getting major-tired with all that outdoor frolic. But the new grill got a nice workout for meals.:)

'Got a call yesterday from an aquaintance from the local civic association...she has some cherry and walnut logs for me...I guess I'll have to pick it up sometime this week! What a shame...:D

Todd Burch
05-24-2004, 10:29 AM
I ate too much this weekend.

A little shop time. I had a left-over panel from the study job (I made it the wrong size), so I spent some time practicing my finishing schedule and glazing before doing the real thing.

Put the first coat of lacquer on a mahogany picture frame that's been sitting around the shop for a month or two.

A lady called and came by Saturday and I fixed her cabinet door that was broken while being moved. $30 in 30 minutes... while she waited. She was totally happy! The hinge-side stile was broken off at the rail tenons.

Yard work got done too. Had neighbors over last night for grilling and hot tubbing. Good sunny weather - I'm starting to get that proverbial perennial "red neck".

Ken Salisbury
05-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Spent most of Saturday sitting in the HOT sun watching first, one of my Grandaughters play softball and then one of my Grandsons playing baseball. Then back home and watched the Atlanta Braves game which I had recorded while gone.

Sunday I finally got some shop time aside from FPP stuff. Managed to finish a couple items started last week and a walnut covered bowl from scratch. Glasses are in the photo for size reference. More pics of the items are on this post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9524

Chris Padilla
05-24-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm slowly but surely ripping apart my garage for a full blown remodel.

Anyone use that Gladiator Garageworks stuff? (www.GladiatorGW.com (http://www.GladiatorGW.com)) I'm thinking about covering all my walls with the panels and using their bracket to support any type of cabinetry/storage stuff I might make in the future.

Jim Becker
05-24-2004, 1:31 PM
Anyone use that Gladiator Garageworks stuff? (www.GladiatorGW.com (http://www.gladiatorgw.com/)) I'm thinking about covering all my walls with the panels and using their bracket to support any type of cabinetry/storage stuff I might make in the future.
Expensive, Chris. You may be able to source slot-wall either new or preferably used from a retail fixtures outlet. But you might consider the system illustrated in the WOOD Magazine Idea Shop #5 which is pretty adaptable to flexible storage systems. And...it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...or should I say, a router and combo system...to put in place.

Donnie Raines
05-24-2004, 1:34 PM
SOLD MY HOUSE!!!!.......heeehaawwwwwwww... :D

Donnie Raines

Byron Trantham
05-24-2004, 2:10 PM
Worked in the yard. Fixed the return spring for the "go forward/go backward pedal" on my lawn tractor. Who knew it had to be greased! :confused: Helped my Brother-in-law work on Kitchen Cabinets. Set up the TS to finish the last of the rabbits for SWMBO sewing room base cabinets. Dry fit and assembly starts this week! Ya Hoo! :D One more phase to go. :D Oh ya, finally got the wring harness for my generator when we loose power. Consists of a 25' male/male cable to connect the generator in the garage to a "pass through" outlet assembly that is installed between the garage and the dining room. A 25' 14/3 cable from the "pass through" in the dining room to the Kitchen for the refrigerator. A 100' 12/3 cable with a three outlet adapter that goes down to the basement. One outlet for the freezer, one outlet for the sump pump and the last one for the "computer room" to run a radio and coffee pot! :D I labeled everything! Now I don't have to look around in the dark for "all the stuff." :p The last step is make the generator's gas tank remote - covered in a separate thread.

Steve Knowlton
05-24-2004, 2:19 PM
We Had A Great Weekend.my 2 Sons And I Cut Down A Cherry Tree. It Was About 3' Thru At The Base. Lots Of Bowl Stock. Turned A Couple Of Small Bowls And A Few Freedom Pens. Also Got In 54 Holes Of Frizbee Golf With The Boys. Need To Come To Work To Rest

Rich Konopka
05-24-2004, 2:26 PM
A Busy weekend was spent on yard work on Friday after work. Saurday was spent at Connecticut Valley Woodworking in a cabinet making class. Sunday was spent wrestling with the beast. All 400+ lbs of it!! :)

http://members.cox.net/rkon02/dj20.jpg

To Be Continued

Chris Padilla
05-24-2004, 2:33 PM
Expensive, Chris. You may be able to source slot-wall either new or preferably used from a retail fixtures outlet. But you might consider the system illustrated in the WOOD Magazine Idea Shop #5 which is pretty adaptable to flexible storage systems. And...it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...or should I say, a router and combo system...to put in place.
SWMBO finally sent me to get a haircut on Sunday and the place is right next to Sears...so I wandered in after the cutting and gee, somehow I ended up the Craftsman section (picked up a few goodies :rolleyes: ) and noticed that Sears is now pushing this stuff. I tore off a pamphlet and was checking it out. No clue about prices but I suspect you are correct, Jim. I have that WOOD issue...guess I'll need to take another gander at it.

Jim Becker
05-24-2004, 2:48 PM
Chris, prices on on the website you gave in your original post.

Mark Bachler
05-24-2004, 3:12 PM
Ran all my dust collection ductwork. Used 6" PVC with 10ga. wire in the main lengths to ground the static. All that's left is the flex hose from the gates to the machines. Set up the panel router, and cleaned the shop floor. Chased "ol whats her name" around the house on Sunday.

Lincoln Myers
05-24-2004, 3:15 PM
Not fine woodworking by any means...

I tore out the old entry door on our house (this is one of those projects that HAS to get done in one day :eek: ). Tore it out down to the rough opening and replaced it with a similar setup of a pre-hung 3 pane sidelight and steel raised panel insulated door with a half-moon window at the top.

Never done this before and it went pretty well. Got the new door hardware installed and the wife, kids and myself were locked in safe for the night.

Still need to replace the door casing on the inside and install a trim piece over the header, should get that done tonight after work.

Zahid Naqvi
05-24-2004, 4:16 PM
Finally have a notable weekend accomplishment to post, even though it is not woodworking related. My USTA tennis team won the state tournament this weekend (men's 4.0 incase there are some tennis players out there). Columbia SC is the next stop for the sectionals. Competition there will be among teams from 10 states, we will represent Arkansas for the 4.0 level.

Scott Coffelt
05-24-2004, 5:20 PM
Too much runnign around on Saturday.

Yard work, unloaded another 600lbs of rock (6 tons late last year) into the landscaping, planted some more bushes.

Took my son and the neighbor girl to see Shrek2 (totally funny, especially for an adult).

Put our Mini-van for sale, and sold it the first day. Yippee, now the wife gets a new car come Saturday (I am travelling for work the rest of the week).

Did get my 12v drill out for some basic stuff outside, so token day in the shop.

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2004, 7:07 PM
Well....to some up my current week..? I'm oncall this week with NO relief shift workers....so I have it for 7 solid days now wth ZERO relief in site until next Monday morning. :(

jim barter
05-24-2004, 8:32 PM
Byron/ I hope the cable you have from the gen set to your home does not have a male on each end.This is very dangerous!!!. When the gen set is operating and if someone unplugged this from your house the male prongs of the cord cap would be exposed and someone could be electocuted if they were touched.There should be a male on the gen set end and female on the house end.The male receptacle is to be mounted on the house.
Jim

Tyler Howell
05-24-2004, 8:40 PM
Well....to some up my current week..? I'm oncall this week with NO relief shift workers....so I have it for 7 solid days now wth ZERO relief in site until next Monday morning. :(
Hey Bud,
Take it easy out there. Sleeplessness is a work hazard.;)

Travis Lanman
05-24-2004, 8:44 PM
Well this weekend went fairly well in terms of shop time. It poured all weekend so much time was spent in the shop and I got started on my assembly table that I have been wanting to do for months. By next weekend it should be done, still have to make and install drawers and other misc. I also made an outfeed table for my tablesaw but didn't get very far on it. Attached is a picture of the started assembly table. Have a great week everyone.
Travis

Kurt Aebi
05-25-2004, 7:35 AM
I made a Trellis for my wife's climbing "whatsoever" plant, but have yet to put it in place.

Made (2) raised panel doors for a built-in cabinet that I will build at my fathers house next week. I didn't want to transport all the required equipment from Vermont to SW Pennsylvania to make th edoors, I figured that I would make the doors at the shop (Norm style) and transport to the job site for installation.

Too wet to plant the garden, but dry enough Sunday to mow (good thing, it has done nothing but rain since then.

Helped my father-in-law cut out more pieces for wishing wells (he is on this wishing well kick - but at least he is in the shopdoing what he likes).

Had to take my new drill press back to the Delta service center to have the variable speed pulley replaced. (The bushing inside the top pulley piece was a press-fit and did not have the set screw that the newer models have - hmmmmmm I wonder if this has been a problem for others????). I am now using the one I bought for my dad when Woodworker's Warehouse was going under, but I have to deliver it this weekend, so I hope Delta isn't too slow fixing mine.

Well have a safe anf prosperous week!