PDA

View Full Version : pressure treated sawhorses: drawbacks, problems?

Tim Thomas
10-27-2008, 4:47 PM
I've got some scraps of pressure treated lumber left over from rebuilding the deck on the back of my house. I'd like to put some of the pieces to use in my shop by making some knockdown sawhorses, but I'm unsure of any problems there might be with doing that. Is it a problem for untreated wood to come into contact with pressure treated (does it stain untreated wood)? Is it a bad idea for me to be touching pressure treated wood on a regular basis? It is all "Yellawood" if that makes a difference...

I just hate to throw usable wood away, but I don't really have any good ideas for using up this scrap outside of building some shop fixtures. Anybody got any ideas for using up pressure treated scraps if shop fixtures are a no-go? I've got a little of everything in lengths up to 4 feet: 2x10, 2x8, 2x6, deck boards, 6x6, 4x4. Anything I can't salvage will be going in a dumpster in a couple of days. I love my new deck, but the pile of scrap makes me a little sad. :D

Matt Meiser
10-27-2008, 4:50 PM
If it isn't dry, its going to warp and twist like crazy. If you are worried, you could glue a strip of non-treated wood to the top edge. No nails or screws because you know you'll find them with that expensive saw blade. :D

Matt Ocel
10-27-2008, 5:01 PM
As A Framer, I would throw it on in a heartbeat.

Tim Thomas
10-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I like your suggestion Matt. I have some non-treated 1x6 scraps (from another project, I save anything that isn't sawdust) that should work perfectly for sawhorse tops. I've got a place to store the pressure treated wood for a while, so I can stack it, weigh it down and wait for it to dry for a bit before I cut it up.

You know, when I glue on that top piece, I could use a trick from the turners and put some craft paper in between the pieces of wood with glue on both sides. Then when the tops are beat up, I can split them off at the glue line and glue on new tops rather than make new sawhorses. Hmm... I feel an experiment coming on. I can't lose, the wood is practically "free" anyway.