PDA

View Full Version : Bad Catch == 3D motion

Matt Wolboldt
10-27-2008, 3:50 PM
So I was turning last night and managed to get a nasty catch that sent the piece flying and managed to break the tenon off in the process. My thinking on it is reverse chuck it in my jumbo jaws, turn the broken tenon away, make a new "bottom" tenon and then presto chango a re-turn the inside to get rid of the catch mark. Any other thoughts would be extremely helpful since this bowl was looking very nice and it's the largest I've turned yet (almost 12" in diameter). Thanks!

Leo Van Der Loo
10-27-2008, 4:04 PM
Hi Matt, yes Jumbo jaws, clean up the bottom and glue a scrap piece on there, turn true and then redo the inside.
This way you will loose much less wood on the bottom and still have a good tenon to hold on to, just as I see it ;-))

Christopher Fletcher
10-27-2008, 6:16 PM
As leo suggested, glue a scrap piece but keep in mind your grain orientation. I had a bowl that I was trying to glue up cross grain and kept loosing the tenon. Very frustrating . . . and not so safe either. One of my wood turning friends suggested using a screw chuck too. I'll have to give it a try when I get my tool rest fixed.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2008, 8:36 PM
I agree with Leo's suggestion! Hope all goes well and you can finish turn the piece! Looking forward to seeing photos of your save!

Gary Herrmann
10-27-2008, 8:55 PM
If the break is fairly clean, you can glue the tenon right back on, true it up and redo it as well. I posted pics of a cherry bowl here some time in the past where I did just that.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
I agree with Leo although I have did what Gary said and it worked very well. It won't work all the time if the fit is not good.

Matt Wolboldt
10-28-2008, 12:30 AM
I guess my plan of attack would be to try to glue the tenon back on, if that doesn't work, I'll turn the bottom and glue a new tenon on. Thanks for all the advice guys.