PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 Lathe Questions

Steve Mellott
10-27-2008, 1:43 PM
I've just set up a Jet 1642 lathe and have the following questions.

1. Even when the lathe is turned off, I still get a digital speed reading of "0". Is this normal and if so, do you unplug the lathe when it is not in use? I'm not sure if I need to unplug it to protect it from a power surge.

2. Is there any onboard storage for the index pin and face plate rod or do you just keep them in the tool tray or other cabinet?

3. The headstock and tailstock are out of alignment by about 1/64" (the tailstock is lower). I've leveled the lathe, removed the packing grease, and tried different centers, but the problem won't go away. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks very much.

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2008, 2:21 PM
Steve,

I don't have the Jet but.... I do have a PM3520B. My speed indicator indicates "0" when it's shut off and plugged in. I suspect there is still power applied to the AC inverter that converts single phase 240 to 3-phase. I unplug mine when I'm done for the day. Reason...should lightning strike and run in.....Lightning will and can jump a shutoff breaker....it will have to jump 6' of air to get to my lathe if it's unplugged. I don't want to take a chance on damaging the electronics.

John Peck
10-27-2008, 3:23 PM
I have a Jet 1642 lathe (1-1/2 HP version). The digital speed indicator shows a "zero" when the lathe is plugged in but not turned on. I unplug mine when I'm not using it. There is no on-board storage for the indexing pin and the knock-out bar. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the alignment problem - my lathe did not have that problem.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2008, 3:27 PM
Steve, I have the same lathe, so...

1. Like Ken, I unplug the lathe when I am not using it. Don't want to take any chances with power spikes, etc.

2. There is no on board storage provided for anything with the lathe. I keep the knock out bar and index pin stored on a tool shelf.

3. I would try a few variations on the level thing to see if you can move the centers. Try raising or lowering one side of the legs on the tailstock end of the lathe. Try a turn (CW or CCW) on one foot only and see which way the centers move. You should be able to align them point to point!

Hope that helps. If you have any additional questions - be sure to ask!

robert hainstock
10-27-2008, 7:08 PM
While I was still in the electonics repair business; I repaired or wrote insurance claims for lots of folks who'd had lighting damaged units. I never wrote one for an unplugged unit. Digital equipment is HIGHLY prone to any higher voltage, and even if it is still working may fail shortly from the surge. And speaking of surges I'd advise you to unplug it if you have a power outage. There will most likely be a SURGE when power is restored.:eek::eek::)
Bob

John Strait
10-27-2008, 8:15 PM
I use a 9-3/8'' x 5-3/8'' Magnetic magnetic tray from HF to hold the miscellaneous items and place it above the left leg on the side of the bed. The magnet has enough force to hold anything I have place in it, plus I lay the knockout bar and wrench directly on top of the tray. The tray would be facing you when you are in front of the controls on the lathe.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37033

Richard Madison
10-27-2008, 8:24 PM
At the risk of asking the obvious, do you have the headstock and tailstock securely locked in position when checking the alignment? A 64th vertical is definitely too much IMHO.

Harvey Schneider
10-27-2008, 8:37 PM
I don't baby my 1642, it has been plugged in since I got it about 2-1/2 years ago. There have been lightning storms and power outages and I have always expected that my lathe would be ready and able when I want to use it.

My solution to the tool storage problem is a bunch of small high energy, rare earth, magnets spread out along the front of the lathe. The tools hang there close at hand and out of the way. I also have some on top of the control housing where I store chuck screws and jaws. A small magnetic parts dish is also useful when changing chuck jaws.

When I first got my lathe I had a small alignment problem. I was surprised at how much cast iron can flex. If the centers don't align vertically, try lifting the bed by the center and put it back down. This will allow the legs to settle slightly closer together raising the tailstock center.

Steve Mellott
10-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the good information.

1. I'll unplug the lathe whenever it is not in use. I figure its better to be safe than sorry.

2. I'm going to buy the magnetic parts dish that several of you have referenced. I think that would be good for small parts like the indexing pin.

3. I still can't resolve the alignment issue. I've tried raising the center of the lathe, but there was no change. I've also tried adjusting each foot on the tailstock end of the lathe, but all that does is raise one of the legs off the floor (with no change to the alignment). I will contact Jet to see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks again.

Steve