PDA

View Full Version : Carved flower

Mike Henderson
10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Here's the first project - a carved flower.

This may seem like a very simple project but it's very useful - you can take the basic idea and extend it in a lot of ways.

For example, here's a lid that I decorated with these exact flowers. The ring is called a "guilloche" - a repetition of a pattern with interwoven lines. A very nice decorative touch for the top of a chest or around the apron of a table. But made up of this very simple flower.

You can carve it with some leaves. BTW, this wood is Spanish cedar and is a miserable carving wood.

You can carve it with the petals folding over. Cherry.

You can make it fit within a frame. Spanish cedar again.

(continued)

Mike Henderson
10-27-2008, 12:41 PM
You can also take the general idea and play with it.

99542 99543 99544

That is, you can take your ability to carve a flower and carve things which use the same techniques but look different.

The tools needed to carve this are as follows:

12/6 V-tool (a basic tool - everyone should have this)
2/5 gouge (I use this small gouge a lot and I recommend it as a basic tool)
7/10 or 7/12 gouge (this one is a bit more difficult to recommend because it's used to outline the center of the flower and it depends on how large you make your flower.)
3/12 (to outline the outside of the flower)

You might be able to use other gouges than the last two by adjusting the size of your flower.

Wood can be anything you want to use, but I'm going to demonstrate with basswood.

So here's the deal - If three (or more) people will commit to doing the carving and posting their work, I'll post the tutorial. Let me hear from you.

Mike

[I'm making these tool recommendations before I actually do the tutorial so I could change my mind when I actually do it. But I think those will work. If you want to wait until I post the tutorial before buying tools, that may be a good decision.]

Charlie Schultz
10-27-2008, 5:10 PM
Count me in, thanks.

Zahid Naqvi
10-27-2008, 5:57 PM
I've got a block of basswood waiting to be wasted through hands on learning :eek:

I'm in.

Phillip Bogle
10-27-2008, 7:43 PM
I almost missed this as I was still watching the other thread.:eek:

I am in. I have Basswood as well.

Is it OK to adapt the chisel sizes a bit? I have a couple dozen chisels but I can not find size listing on the individual tool. I have Henry Taylor chisels, will that be OK?

How many and how frequently do you want the photos?

Mike Henderson
10-27-2008, 9:12 PM
I almost missed this as I was still watching the other thread.:eek:

I am in. I have Basswood as well.

Is it OK to adapt the chisel sizes a bit? I have a couple dozen chisels but I can not find size listing on the individual tool. I have Henry Taylor chisels, will that be OK?

How many and how frequently do you want the photos?
Only the finished work. It shouldn't take you too long to do this. When I teach this flower, the students do it in four hours or less.

We have three people who have committed to do the project. Give me a couple of days to do the project and take pictures. I'll get the stuff posted here soon.

Mike

Chuck Nickerson
10-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I'll make it four. I can't ever seem to make it to your class at Woodcraft/Stanton.