PDA

View Full Version : New Disston saws, any feedback?

Douglas Brummett
10-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I notice that Rockler is stocking several Disston saws. Are they any good or just another import with a nice name branded on them?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21279

Dan Carroll
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I saw them as well. At the price thay are asking, they better be good.

Joel Goodman
10-27-2008, 2:30 PM
At the same price as a LN or one of Mike's why even go there? With LN or Mike you know there are real folks to stand behind the product.

Douglas Brummett
10-27-2008, 2:34 PM
At the same price as a LN or one of Mike's why even go there? With LN or Mike you know there are real folks to stand behind the product.
I gotta agree Joel. Just wanted to see if anyone had seen or used these saws. I am eye'in a dovetail saw. Gramercy and LN are topping my list. I was just looking at what rockler had since I have another 20% coupon.

Don C Peterson
10-27-2008, 3:15 PM
Never seen them in person, but from the pics, the handles look pretty blocky and not so comfortable.

Marcus Ward
10-27-2008, 3:20 PM
Doesn't even tell the TPI in the ad unless I missed it. And yeah, those blocky handles - yay blisters!

Bill Houghton
10-27-2008, 3:41 PM
Doesn't even tell the TPI in the ad unless I missed it.

In the body of the description, it says 16 tpi.

Got to say, the price makes my $1 Disstons from garage sales look might attractive.

Marcus Ward
10-27-2008, 3:53 PM
I dunno, about you guys, but I also make beer. There are attempts every year by the big beer makers to try to horn in on the microbrew market. Just like stanley bringing out a 'premium' line of planes to compete with LV and LN, this looks like more of the same. I love my vintage stanleys but for modern iron I think we have better choices with more customer service and support.

Alex Shanku
10-27-2008, 4:39 PM
I gotta agree Joel. Just wanted to see if anyone had seen or used these saws. I am eye'in a dovetail saw. Gramercy and LN are topping my list. I was just looking at what rockler had since I have another 20% coupon.

Dont rule out Adria saws. I own one of Eddie's dovetail saws and it is outstanding.

http://www.adriatools.com/handsaw/dovetail_saw.html

http://www.adriatools.com/adria_support/jpegs/small_dt_zoom.jpg

Alex Shanku
10-27-2008, 4:41 PM
Oh yeah, Adria also has a ONE YEAR money back trial period / guarantee

Alan DuBoff
10-27-2008, 4:43 PM
I don't know, maybe there's a market for that stuff...look, people have been buying PAX, Crown, Garlick, Lynx, Roberts & Lee, etc...those are all crappy saws that sell for a premium, and some folks here probably have some of those as they bought them at local woodworking stores.

I wouldn't count these companies out on making quality tools today.

Yeah, the saws don't look too good with the Disston name, and really what these saws stand on is the name solely. But if you sharpen them up they probably aren't too bad, spring steel is spring steel...

I see a lot of negative comments, but keep in mind, "they are what they are...", I won't be buying any...

I agree that Adria makes a good saw! There's quite a few good saws being made...

Dave Anderson NH
10-27-2008, 4:54 PM
Dubious for $124, it looks more like a $50 saw to me. With some rasp work on the handle and a resharpening and setting, it would probably do OK though. It's just not what you'd expect at that kind of price. I'll stick with my LNs, my Wenzloffs, and my antique Disstons thank you.

Gary Herrmann
10-27-2008, 8:54 PM
Hmm. I could buy 3 vintage Disston backsaws in very good shape for that. I wonder if I can use this as an excuse to purchase some more saws.

"But honey, I got 3 for the price of one!"

Douglas Brummett
10-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Oh yeah, Adria also has a ONE YEAR money back trial period / guarantee

Guarantee or not, they send me a saw without teeth and I might be bit upset :D:D:D (first impression from the posted image)

RE: new Disston's
Survey say's... ...not worth the price of admission for unknown quality/reputation. If pictures are any indication they are a cheap import with a high sticker. Interesting analogy to the new Stanley line, probably not far off base.

Gary Herrmann
11-01-2008, 4:00 PM
I was in Rockler today and handled one. The handle is not comfortable at all. I ran my index finger against the teeth and it did not seem very sharp either.

I later noticed someone else hefting it and he seemed to be seriously considering it.

Ken Werner
11-01-2008, 4:23 PM
I later noticed someone else hefting it and he seemed to be seriously considering it.

There's one of them born every minute. I'd choose Wenzloff, LN, or vintage any day over that offering from Rockler.

Bill Houghton
11-01-2008, 5:21 PM
I could buy 3 vintage Disston backsaws in very good shape for that. I wonder if I can use this as an excuse to purchase some more saws.

It's necessary to have an excuse? I thought the more important part was to have good smuggling skills.

Bill, just this week smuggled in a rabbet plane, a try square, a No. 52 spokeshave (great tool, those), a drawknife, and a couple of little pieces.

Gary Herrmann
11-01-2008, 6:22 PM
It's necessary to have an excuse? I thought the more important part was to have good smuggling skills.

Well, ever since she started carving, she notices additions in the shop. She's getting into my planes and chisels too, so that makes it harder.

Hmm. Maybe I'll have to make a toolchest with a false bottom...

Douglas Brummett
11-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Well, ever since she started carving, she notices additions in the shop. She's getting into my planes and chisels too, so that makes it harder.

Hmm. Maybe I'll have to make a toolchest with a false bottom...

You guys are cracking me up with all this smuggling talk. Don't get me wrong, done my fair share of it. Just yesterday I was moving my miter saw across the shop and the wife walked out and inquired about my "new" saw. Fortunately this was a false smuggling accusation, so I was off the hook :D