PDA

View Full Version : Rain, Rain Go Away! You've delayed my shop another day! And again! And again!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2004, 1:15 AM
Two weeks ago they removed Robert's dragon hairball on Monday. Then on Tuesday they filled the resulting hole, compacted and dug the footings. On Wednesday they built the forms for the footings! Thursday they poured the footings. It started raining and has rained hard (for here) since! Last week they managed to get the foundation walls formed and on Friday they poured the foundation walls. A couple of hours later it was raining and it's rained all weekend. I've been told that a slow cure will create strong concrete. If that's the case, I'll have the stoutest foundation on this side of the Mississippi. It's been raining daily since the footings were poured, high temps in the high 60's and lows in the low 50's. I'm sure it's a slow cure! I have the biggest mud puddle around (about 50'x50') in my backyard! Stuff happens! :(

Rob Russell
05-24-2004, 8:01 AM
If it makes you feel any better, they wouldn't normally start framing for at least week after the pour. Our addition waited longer before the backfill.

Chris Padilla
05-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Ken,

They are right about the concrete...lottsa water and patience makes for solid, crack-free concrete! Be patient...be patient...do I need to FedEx some pretty pink, orange, and purple pills to see you through this delay? :D Just know that Tyler and John won't be getting them.... :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Chris, thanks for the offer! I don't do pills. I will, however, have a couple of aluminum cans of brew that are in my refrigerator! I'm really not that disappointed. I think the contractor I'm using is doing a good job and I don't want to hurry him. I was just hoping to get it done and get it painted before I take a long planned vacation with my wife and in-laws in late June. I'm doing the painting. The siding comes pre-painted so....really all I have to paint would be the facia and soffet. The siding is concrete/silicon and should be able to wait until I return. You know how it is.........55 going on 6 as the new w/w shop is being built! :D

Dave Sweeney
05-24-2004, 1:22 PM
I live next to a creek that has crested its banks. If you're looking to stock those puddles of yours, I'd be glad to send you some of the carp that are swimming around my backyard. :D

John Miliunas
05-24-2004, 1:25 PM
Ken,

They are right about the concrete...lottsa water and patience makes for solid, crack-free concrete! Be patient...be patient...do I need to FedEx some pretty pink, orange, and purple pills to see you through this delay? :D Just know that Tyler and John won't be getting them.... :eek:

Hrmmmph! :mad: There 'ya go...Giving my pills away again! Watch yourself or I'll get my friend,... my friend,...... my....Well, Ok, so I can't come up with a name right now, but just watchit'! :eek: :cool:

Oh, and Ken...I know what you're saying about the rain. Bear Creek runs, out a ways behind our house. Well, as of a couple days ago, we now have bragging rights to having a creek running across our property! :) Gee, always wanted property with some water frontage! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2004, 3:41 PM
John and Dave,
I can appeciate what you're going through. I went to high school in a town in southern Illinois. I remember what spring rain swollen creeks and rivers were like! Here in Lewiston, our average annual moisture is 12"....TOTAL. We' ve had 2" since last Tuesday! That's 16% of the annual amount in 2% of the time.......Of course, it's the week when I have a 32'x26' open pit in my backyard.....Don't think I'll buy a lotto ticket this week!

Rich Konopka
05-24-2004, 8:05 PM
Ken:

I have been trying to get my shop together for just over a year. I have ran into so many roadblocks. Just be patient !! I had my basement flood twice. Once the valve let go on the hot water tank and another the pump went on the condenser pump for the AC. Both times I had to pull out some framing and take corrective actions. Thanksfully I have not had any major damage.

The best advice I can give you is use the time to plan accordingly. Good luck and keep us posted !!