PDA

View Full Version : Artsign Laser

Mark Venema
10-27-2008, 9:32 AM
I am looking at the subject laser on Ebay (Item# 320312079213). I would like to just get a "starter" unit before taking the big plunge. We are plannning on cutting twill (fabric) for applique process in embroidery and also start working on awards, plaques, etc... Does anyone have experience with this unit good or bad?

Thanks,

Mark

Dave Johnson29
10-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I am looking at the subject laser on Ebay

Hi Mark,

I know nothing about brand but make sure you note the Chiller is NOT supplied. That means you cannot use it until you buy and install a chiller to cool the water for the laser tube. As they state up to $700 will have to be added to the total price. Maybe ask what brand and model of chiller they used on it.

Mark Venema
10-27-2008, 1:13 PM
Hi Mark,

I know nothing about brand but make sure you note the Chiller is NOT supplied. That means you cannot use it until you buy and install a chiller to cool the water for the laser tube. As they state up to $700 will have to be added to the total price. Maybe ask what brand and model of chiller they used on it.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply...the seller indicated it comes with a chiller/cooler that he fabricated. Not sure about how good it is, but maybe it would work for starters? Thanks again.

Dan Hintz
10-27-2008, 7:00 PM
...the seller indicated it comes with a chiller/cooler that he fabricated.
:confused::(:confused:

Eric Fuller
11-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I made my own out of a walmart beer cooler, pond pump, small radiator, $15 desk fan and about $5 worth of MDF. Cost about $100 all in and works MUCH better than the piece of junk I paid $300 for when I bought my laser.

Eric Allen
11-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I made my own out of a walmart beer cooler, pond pump, small radiator, $15 desk fan and about $5 worth of MDF. Cost about $100 all in and works MUCH better than the piece of junk I paid $300 for when I bought my laser.

If you get time, would you post the details and maybe a pic or two on this? I've been playing around in thermodynamics and while I don't need one for my laser, this might end up being useful in one of the other projects:)

Eric Fuller
11-08-2008, 5:42 PM
If you get time, would you post the details and maybe a pic or two on this? I've been playing around in thermodynamics and while I don't need one for my laser, this might end up being useful in one of the other projects:)

Hmm, don't have time for pics but it was pretty simple.

Made a rectangular tunnel out of MDF with slots in the side that the radiator fits in. Bought the radiator for about $25 on Ebay brand new. It's smallish...maybe 12x12". The fan is a little $12 desk job which pulls a lot of air. Pulled it off the base it came on and mounted it in the front of the tunnel on another piece of MDF and siliconed everything good so it pulls air through the tunnel. Bought a 10 gallon beer cooler at Wal-Mart and a pretty beefy fountain pump. Drill a couple holes in the cooler to run the lines, drop the pump in, hook it all up and flip the switch. I leave it running all the time so the water temp is always ambient, and with a 10 gallon reservoir it's very resistant to heatsoak. Can run my 80W laser all day and the temp goes up about 2 degrees C.

Eric Allen
11-08-2008, 7:30 PM
Hmm, don't have time for pics but it was pretty simple.

Made a rectangular tunnel out of MDF with slots in the side that the radiator fits in. Bought the radiator for about $25 on Ebay brand new. It's smallish...maybe 12x12". The fan is a little $12 desk job which pulls a lot of air. Pulled it off the base it came on and mounted it in the front of the tunnel on another piece of MDF and siliconed everything good so it pulls air through the tunnel. Bought a 10 gallon beer cooler at Wal-Mart and a pretty beefy fountain pump. Drill a couple holes in the cooler to run the lines, drop the pump in, hook it all up and flip the switch. I leave it running all the time so the water temp is always ambient, and with a 10 gallon reservoir it's very resistant to heatsoak. Can run my 80W laser all day and the temp goes up about 2 degrees C.

Thanks much! I was wondering if that was one of those coolers you plug into the cigarette lighter too, this pretty well clears that up:) I've been thinking about cooling for one of my power supplies that I built recently, I have to use it outside a lot and the heat here allows the diode pack to run a lot closer to it's max temp than I'm comfortable with. When the air across the heat sink is 115, you only get so much cooling effect:)

Eric Fuller
11-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Naw, this is a glorified bucket with a heat exchanger :D

Works well for what it does though.