PDA

View Full Version : Xenetech Software installation

Scott Shepherd
10-27-2008, 9:03 AM
Oh, it's been a bad, bad, bad computer week. I'd bet every single penny I have that a recent Windows update is behind all of my computer issues, but of course, there's no way to know.

I have 3 computers here, not networked. On my main computer, I installed Xenetech's graphic workstation to help me work with files so I can get them back and forth between our Xenetech rotary machine.

However, I went to start it a week ago and it never came up. I had a bunch of other things running at the time, and when I went to shut the computer down, I saw the box had finally opened up for that software in the background. Next time I go to start it, it won't come up. Click the icon, nothing happens, other than 10 seconds of the hourglass.

I uninstall it, put the CD in, click on "Setup.exe". Nothing happens, other than 10 seconds of the hourglass. Strange. Try again. Nope. Take it to another computer. Same thing.

Get the manual out to make sure I'm doing it right, the manual says to run setup.exe. I go to the start button, open the run box, enter D:\setup.exe. Same thing. Bring it back to the main computer. Same thing.

So I can't get the setup file to even launch. Not sure what's happened this past week, but it's happened on multiple computers and we're not networked and don't use these computers for anything other than work.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the Xenetech Graphic Workstation software to install, or perhaps tell me what I'm missing?

David Dustin
10-27-2008, 9:21 AM
Steve,
Are they all running the same version of Windoze?

Are you logged in as an Admin on all of them (I would assume yes).

You say the computers are not networked, how would they all get the same update (unless you connect them individually to the internet).

1. Try copying the entire contents of the CD to a directory on your computer and running it again.

2. Make sure your anti-virus is not being super sensitive by not letting .exe files from running (some block that).

David

Scott Shepherd
10-27-2008, 9:43 AM
In great management form, I decided to delegate it to my co-worker :)

He tried installing it, something got hung up, he noticed a error box that mentioned 16-bit. He then apparently selected an option on the run dialog that allows you to install something as if it were being installed on an older system. He did that, and it installed right away.

I wish I had delegated this task to him a week ago :)