PDA

View Full Version : 2 completed projects.

Radek Kowalski
10-27-2008, 1:16 AM
I got a lathe to start turning bowls and vases. Most people get lathes to start pens. My first vase.. it was GREAT, I loved it. It decided it wanted to fly. The baseball bat.. well that exploded. A mini vase, that didn't do to good either. I decided, if I can't make a decent pen, then something is wrong with me. These are kind of the first offical projects, but at the same time they are not. Cherry and Purpleheart.

Thanks for looking.
http://www.radeksfishroom.com/images/shop/firstpens.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2008, 2:12 AM
Nice looking slimline pens Radek!

Don't be too hard on yourself about some projects that might not go perfectly. I've been turning for nearly 3 years now and I'm learning everyday. Just recently I spent over 100 dollars on 6 pen kits and blanks. I've turned 5 of them so far and 2 work correctly. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong but something is going on.

I bought some maple to turn some wheels for a fellow Creeker. The first piece of wood warped on me as there was a 2 week delay between rough turning it to a cylinder and coming back to it to finish turn the 4 wheels. I tried to true it back up.....to small a diameter after being trued. Oh well. I needed a lathe mallet and now I have a maple one. Andy would call it a bonker on slim-fast.

I ordered in some more maple. Saturday, I cut the sealed ends of the 12" blank and then cut the blank in half to give it time to dry and warp if it was so inclined. It didn't warp. This morning when I went to the shop....both 6" pieces had split while drying overnight.

I'm going to buy some kiln-dried maple and glue up a blank.:confused:

Leo Van Der Loo
10-27-2008, 3:11 AM
Radek you didn't learn to start walking in one day, and I'm sure you fell on your ass a few times to, same with turning, just keep it up and practice, it does take time to get good at it, also you do have to learn to walk before you can run ;-))
Have fun and take care.
Leo Van Der Loo

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2008, 9:11 AM
Radek - good looking pens! Turning gets easier with doing... just keep at it and you'll be able to turn bowls, vases or whatever you want! It also helps if you can get some guidance - either lessons or by joining a turning club. You can figure things out by yourself - many of us have - but having someone show you the correct way will save you countless hours and frustration!

Keep turning and have fun with it!

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Great looking pens Radek. I hate to tell you but I went thru a similar experience when I first started turning. I had thoughts of selling the lathe and heading in a different direction. But stubborn me I stuck with it and now am having the time of my life. Keep at it. Watch video's, read books and above all if you have a woodcraft or someone close by to ask questions and get help then do so. I wish I had someone or a woodcraft closer than 4 hrs and it would have saved me a lot of time. Keep at it and keep practicing. It will come.

Thomas Canfield
10-27-2008, 9:56 PM
Radek,

A member in our local woodturning club (East Texas Woodturners, Tyler TX) stood up during Show and Ttell and talked about his 7th bowl. He said the previous 6 were scattered around his shop where they had exploded, turned to funnels, had catches too bad to salvage, or some other story. Turning definitely is a learning experience and needs a lot of hands on experience and not just watching demos or videos. Myself, I turned about 6 very thick bowls being safe before yielding to the urge to go thin and then started having the explosions, funnels, and other opportunities.

I am still very much a novice, but better quality wood and sharp tools really do make a big difference. Turning green wood may not result in a pretty finished product, but it is much easier to turn than a burly piece of dried oak or mesquite. Keep at it.

Radek Kowalski
10-29-2008, 1:04 AM
Thanks everyone. I plan to make many more pens as soon as I get some time. What are some ways to engrave some names or initials into the pen? I know I am sure I can use a knife, might be the cheapest option. What are some others. Thanks.