PDA

View Full Version : Marc Adams School of WW Hand Plane Class Report

John Weber
05-23-2004, 10:05 PM
I just got home from my second class at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking just south of Indianapolis. AWESOME as always! I participated in the Hand Plane class with David Charlesworth and Tom Lie-Nielsen. David provided instruction on sharpening and usage, while Tom spoke at length about different planes, manufacturing, the future of LN, and a host of other topics.

David’s sharpening techniques utilize two water stones (I used a 1000 and 8000 grit Norton) and a simple side clamp jig. I was able to get very good results with fair ease and some of the fluffiest shavings I’ve ever produced. I also purchased his video that shows his technique and find it to be very good as a refresher. David had just finished a week long class on hand tools and woodworking, but still had plenty of energy for the weekend. David is a woodworker and teacher in England and had great insight on a variety of topics.

Tom was a real joy to speak with. Very easy, friendly, and knowledgeable. He brought the entire line with him for us to try and they are real beauties. I fell in love with the 4-1/2 and need to pick up a low angle block soon. He also had his new chisels - WOW! He showed a short video from LN and we were all amazed at all the hand work in the tools. The saw handles are basically each done by hand. Tom talked about future products including more chisels, saws, and some other improved reproductions. Basically the sky is the limit. Again, we all put Tom on a platform of sorts, but he is as down to earth as anyone. He was also giving the class a nice discount on tools, but alas I had to pass.

If you are not familiar with Marc’s facility it is top notch, he lives on site so everything looks great. The shop is huge, with planers, jointers, mortiers, etc… all lined up. He has an OSS for each spindle size, a mortiser for each chisel size, etc… the facility is really set up to handle large groups in a very efficient manner. They also use video and everyone has there own workstation. There was also a large finishing class in the other building.

The attendees were from all over the country and had a wealth of skill and knowledge. It’s amazing what people have done and know. It was nice to just listen to conversations. At first I was a bit intimidated as some times hand tool guys can be a bit anal, but the folks in the class all had a great sense of tools and techniques. I ended up the last guy working as I was just trying to get my Number 6 sole just a little flatter. I was wishing for more time, but we helped Tom pack up and like I said before, he is a very enjoyable guy to be around.

A Super Weekend! John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/hpclass1.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/hpclass2.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/hpclass3.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/hpclass4.jpg

Mark Singer
05-23-2004, 11:10 PM
John,
Really informative and great pics! It is inspirational to see fellow woodworkers striving for their best...As you reccognize this is the real thing ....no widgets or gagets just woodworking in the tradition...I love it! Thanks again.

Jim Becker
05-24-2004, 9:03 AM
Ya know, John...a seminar like that is the "gift that keeps on giving"! Once you have your hands on those fine tools, you're gonna want more and more and more! As a proud owner of the LN low-angle block plane, I know that it's only a matter of time before it has some mates in my shop...

Mark Valsi
05-24-2004, 9:31 AM
John,

How come no OHIO STATE gear in that pic ? <GGGG> :D

John Weber
05-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Mark S. Thanks, David is a really interesting person, it's just amazing when you listen to these guys that have a lifetime of experience and more knowledge then I'll ever approach.

Jim Only one LN, you need visit the dark side more often. While I'm a major power guy, I find I use hand planes more and more as my skills improve. They just do many things very well. I'm sure you've played with the LN stuff, it is awesome, and the new chisels, while expensive are as beautiful as any. Tom's new 4-1/2 is killer, and the #62 (in the pictures) is still my favorite. You better get that little block some friends soon, or I'll need to adopt him.

Mark V. I sported the OSU garb on day one!

Thanks guys - John

Jim Becker
05-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Jim Only one LN, you need visit the dark side more often. While I'm a major power guy, I find I use hand planes more and more as my skills improve. They just do many things very well.
I actually have a couple other hand planes; a Record smoother bought new (usable, but not all that great) and a #26 or #27 Transitional (forget which) bought at a flea market. I also have a small brass "finger" plane with a round sole that I bought for a chair project. None of these compare in the least to the LN low-angle block plane which is one of the most used hand tools in my shop. I NEVER used planes in my woodworking prior to buying it at a show a couple years ago. Now, it gets use in almost every project. It is unlikely that I'll do a lot of work in the Neander mode, but only due to my limited time in the shop. But hand tools are still important and I do and will employ them when they best are suited.

John Weber
05-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Jim,

We did a little comparisons in class as people brought all types of planes. The Stanleys/Records just have a hard time getting the same results as the LN and other high end type planes. However an aftermarket blade and chipbreaker (LN, Hock, etc...) can and will make a huge difference and give you very good results. But the LN's just have a great feel. If you are considering any more planes in the future you should put the Low angle Jack (#62) at the top of you list. The adjustable mouth makes find shavings possible, the bevel up eliminates the need for a chip breaker, and it is easy to sharpen, maintain, and does a number of task beatuifully, from end grain to smooth, roughing, fitting, and jointing. I've had mine about 5 years, and use it more and more. It and my block plane are my number one users. Tom said the LA adjustable mouth block is his number one seller, followed by the #62. It was the #62 before he introduced the block.

John

Mark Singer
05-24-2004, 11:15 AM
John,
The #164 Low angle smoother is great also! The size is handy and you can control it 100%

Martin Shupe
05-24-2004, 8:34 PM
John,

I was supposed to be in that class with you, but had to cancel due to my current school at work. I will sign up for it again next year, to be sure!

John Weber
05-24-2004, 9:55 PM
Martin,

Bummer, it would have been fun to have a fellow Creeker in class. The class was good and sort of a new format for David. Several people stayed over from the week long class and they helped us with some of the points there just wasn't enough time for during the formal instruction. Most of David's techniques are in his video and books, if you want a taste ahead of time. Tom his a real treat and hopefully will be back next year. I need to look into another class for next year as well.

John

Dennis Peacock
05-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Martin,

Bummer, it would have been fun to have a fellow Creeker in class. The class was good and sort of a new format for David. Several people stayed over from the week long class and they helped us with some of the points there just wasn't enough time for during the formal instruction. Most of David's techniques are in his video and books, if you want a taste ahead of time. Tom his a real treat and hopefully will be back next year. I need to look into another class for next year as well.

John

Congrats John on your class.!!!!! I'm so envious!!!!! I REALLY want to go to school up there at Marc's place to learn and get better.