PDA

View Full Version : Little Gloat

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2008, 10:46 PM
The LOML works at Wheatridge Retirement Center here in town. She wanted to take some of my turnings to display for a week or so for the residents to see and wanted me to explain the how's, what's, etc. So I did. Well the director of the Carnagie Arts Center came down to give some arts classes to the residents. She asked my wife who's woodturnings those were. So my wife told her. My wife called me and told me to come over as someone wanted to talk to me. Anyway she wants me to bring a bunch of my woodturnings down to the Arts Center to be one of the featured artist for the months of November and December. She also wants me to make enough Christmas ornaments and mini birdhouses to decorate a Christmas tree with. She told me to put prices on them if I wanted to sell them and that the Arts Center would get 30%. So I will be taking down around 30 turnings to display plus about 40 ornaments and hopefully will sell some. So today I have been turning bottle stoppers and more mini birdhouses. I got some pepper and salt mills turned. So this is kind of exciting for me.

Don Carter
10-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Congratulations Bernie:
You never know where your stuff is going to be seen. My wife is my best salesperson. ;) She knows she needs to sell enough to pay for my habit.
Post some pics when the tree is trimmed. Sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Pete Jordan
10-26-2008, 11:00 PM
That is a huge gloat!

Congrats Bernie!

Richard Madison
10-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Way to go Bernie! A 30% gallery commission is excellent.

Interesting how we make connections sometimes. I took a digital photography class and had some woodturning pictures in my camera. The instructor (owner of a small local gallery) saw the pictures while checking my camera settings, and some of my stuff is now in their gallery. It's a start.

Steve Schlumpf
10-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Congrats Bernie! I'm real happy for you! Hope you sell everything! Be sure to take some photos once things are set up in the gallery! This is really cool!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Bernie..........that is the biggest STEALTH GLOAT I've seen!

Congrats my friend! I'm not surprised!

Robert McGowen
10-27-2008, 1:07 AM
You appear to have the best two months of the year to be a "Featured Artist" with things for sale! Go get'em.

Greg Just
10-27-2008, 6:22 AM
great opportunity Bernie - I'm sure it will be profitable for you

Toney Robertson
10-27-2008, 6:31 AM
Small gloat? I agree with Pete that is a HUGE gloat.

Congratulations.

You have done what I am trying and failing to do here in Indiana.

Let us know how it works out.

Toney

Bob Hallowell
10-27-2008, 7:24 AM
Wow! congrads Bernie that's great. Good luck hope you sell lots.

Bob

Alan Trout
10-27-2008, 7:58 AM
Bernie, Congratulations that sounds very exciting.

Good Luck

Alan

George Guadiane
10-27-2008, 8:05 AM
Congratulations Bernie, not that I am surprised for you, I've seen pictures of your work!
If not rich, I hope you get famous (OK, rich would probably be better:D), but YES, be sure and post pictures of the tree!

Jim Becker
10-27-2008, 8:07 AM
"Little gloat"??? I think not! BIG gloat! Congratulations...

Jeff Nicol
10-27-2008, 9:39 AM
Great Gloat Bernie! I wish my order was as HUGE!! as yours!! I have an order for 12 honey dippers for a local potter who is making some honey pots for my cousins gallery and she wanted some nicer dippers that she could get cheap on line. So 6 silver maple and 6 black cherry. Maple are done and will start on the cherry today. I am trying to get a portable stand made for my new steel city mini lathe so I can do a demo at the gallery on the 9th of Nov. I am taking a break and resting my bum shoulders right now. I second the posting pics of the tree when it is trimmed!

Keep the chips flying!

Jeff

Dan Oliphant
10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
That's pretty darn exciting, also a good thing you have some "inventory" available to show:rolleyes:.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone. I am a little nervous but excited. I am taking down some 14" cracker and cheese platters, vases, potpourri pots, wine stoppers, bowls, etc. Next month she wants me to bring down 40 to 60 mini birdhouses, ornaments and bells to decorate a whole tree with. Last year I sold 51 ornaments at the gallery for $15.50 to $24.50.

The other thing I am hoping that might work out is in these small towns around here they like to exchange featured artist. So maybe and I hope it could lead to being shown in different towns at different Art Galleries.

David Drickhamer
10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Small gloat? This is HUGE.
Congrats Bernie, hope you do well. I'm sure you will you do beautiful work.

robert hainstock
10-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Gotta love those little ladies in our lives. Sell all of your "stuff", And we need pictures. :D:D:D:D:D
Bob

Tony De Masi
10-27-2008, 3:19 PM
Congrats Bernie. Trying to call that a little goat is like saying sometimes the sun shines.:rolleyes: I hope this leads to many more opportunities for you.

Tony

Joshua Dinerstein
10-27-2008, 3:23 PM
Congrats Man! That is truly fabulous! Be sure to post pictures before things head off into the wild blue yonder!

Joshua

Ted Shrader
10-27-2008, 5:35 PM
Bernie -

Congratulations on the good news, more than a "little" gloat I would say. Great to have the next two months also. Way to go!

Regards,
Ted

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks again. I will be sitting stuff out to get ready to take down. I will get some pictures.