PDA

View Full Version : Horse Show Frolic

Jim Becker
10-26-2008, 9:59 PM
You might remember that horsie-things have been permeating our lives for some time now and one thing follows another...with shows being part of the deal. Today was the second horse show that Nastia participated in and once again, she gained Grand Champion for her particular group. Aside from outstanding riding, Nastia also kicked things up a notch by "looking the part" this time around. English style riding and shows come together as a somewhat formal affair. While not everyone gets decked out quite as much (generally for cost reasons), it's somewhat expected that one at least makes an effort. Here's the young equestrian that competed today...a very different Nastia from the normal mis-matched and "carefully coordinated" mix of plaids, stripes and incompatible colors!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/N-show-outfit.jpg

And here she is dropping off yet another blue ribbon after the completion of a "class" (a particular test of skill)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/N-show-ribbons.jpg

She managed several firsts and seconds and one third to gain the Grand Champion status. If she manages to do this again in November, she's likely going to win a very nice tack trunk (equipment trunk) to keep all our "stuff" in at the stable rather than the Rubbermaid knock-off we are currently using. :)

Due to the proximity of Halloween, there was a "costume class" today and Nastia also competed in this event. While certainly not elaborate as compared to some of the efforts, she got the best laugh and managed a nice 4th or 5th place with Dreamy portraying the Chick-Fil-A cow. (the founder would be rolling over in his grave since "she" was working on Sunday...LOL)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/N-show-costume.jpg

Somehow I also got roped into the "ribbon race" today, too. I've been taking lessons on Saturdays along with Nastia and Alesya and with 5 of them under my belt, I managed to "stay on the horse" through the whole Adult division event, only skipping one "class" as it involved something I have not yet worked on. The pictures are poor due to the wacky light properties of the indoor ring, but at least they prove I competed for my 4 sixth and 1 fourth place ribbon...the latter being on the last event and including 8 jumps. And yes, I'm wearing my cute tight pants that Professor Dr. SWMBO has been threatening to take pictures of me in for some time now... LOL Oh, and my legs and knees are darn sore...nature of English riding.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/J-show-post.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/J-show-jumps.jpg

Matt Ocel
10-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Congrats Nastia!

But Jim come on, You haven't built that Tack trunk yet?

Jim Becker
10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
But Jim come on, You haven't built that Tack trunk yet?

Like I've had time to be in my shop??? :rolleyes: But trust me, even if she wins one the ones that Mike (the owner's husband) is building for the "season" grand champions, I'll be building one at some point anyway. It's "on the list"... ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Well Dad......Congrats to the daughter and Dad. Though I've hunted since I was 9 or 10 years old, when my youngest son decided he wanted to hunt, I took the hunters education course too. I got the Instructor's certification to go with it.

Clara Koss
10-26-2008, 10:43 PM
:Dshe looks gorgeous in the nice and equestrian looking outfit!!!!hope the posting of her successes continues...great break from wood!!!!

Dennis Peacock
10-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Well Pop..!!! Ya done good..!!!!!! Hug Nastia and tell her that some old bib wearin' redneck in Arkysaw said CONGRATS and keep up the good work.

For some strange reason....I just can't get over you and those britches!!!!! :eek: :)

Jim Becker
10-27-2008, 7:51 AM
For some strange reason....I just can't get over you and those britches!!!!!

LOL. I'll also point out that men have a major disadvantage when it comes to acquisition of equestrian clothing...outside of serious competitors, this is a "woman's sport" and the "reasonably priced" category is very sparse. I did find a place in Reno called Neddy's that manufacturers men's breeches and sells on the 'BAY and that helped a lot. They actually do make a difference, as do the half-chaps, since a lot of English riding involves leg control.

They don't seem to make a version with bibs, however... :D

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2008, 9:20 AM
Wow! Grand Champion! You must be one proud father! Great series of photos but the first one should be framed! Also wanted to commend you for participating in a sport along side your daughters! I am sure it means the world to them!

Notice how I didn't say anything about the tight britches?

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 9:21 AM
November's show was yesterday (16 November 2008) and once again Nastia took Grand Champion. As far as we know, she remains in first place via points for the Fall series and if she is successful again in the 14 December show, she'll be able to choose from some really nice prizes. This round, she tool 4 firsts and three seconds for each class (test) which was a great performance. (I managed to do better this time around, too, with 2 thirds, 3 fifths and 1 sixth as compared to 4 sixths and 1 forth the last show)

Here's a pic (not taken by me) of her receiving one of her blue ribbons.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-17-2008, 9:54 AM
Congrats Dad! In the coming years, this type of an outlet will prove valuable!

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Congrats Dad! In the coming years, this type of an outlet will prove valuable!

If I don't go broke from it...LOL :o

Brent Ring
11-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Congrats to both of you! Those are some accomplishments to be proud of for sure!

Pat Germain
11-17-2008, 10:38 AM
If I don't go broke from it...LOL :o

Too bad they don't allow sponsor patches on the riding jackets. ;)

"Nastia's ride is brought to you by Powermatic. The gold standard since..."

Tim Thomas
11-17-2008, 2:05 PM
...While certainly not elaborate as compared to some of the efforts, she got the best laugh and managed a nice 4th or 5th place with Dreamy portraying the Chick-Fil-A cow. (the founder would be rolling over in his grave since "she" was working on Sunday...LOL)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/N-show-costume.jpg

Actually the founder of Chick-Fil-A, Mr. Truett Cathy, would probably get a big laugh out of the costume. I had the good fortune to meet him and his sons (who now run the company) when I worked at Camp WinShape one summer. True story: The first time I ever saw Mr. Cathy, he was wearing a clown wig and had his fingers in his ears making faces at some of the younger campers. Truett is a really down-to-earth, fun-loving guy, and although he is getting up there in age, I hope he is many years away from "rolling in his grave". He does a lot of good work for foster children. Anyway, tell your daughter that I think her horse costume was first rate. Sometimes simple ideas are the funniest.

Dennis Peacock
11-17-2008, 2:55 PM
Congrats once again to The Beckers..!!!!!

Remember....Eat More Chicken..!!!! :D

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 2:57 PM
Thanks for the information, Tim. I really didn't think that Truett was still around.