PDA

View Full Version : Its Here! Freuds dowel machine

Matt Ocel
10-26-2008, 8:15 PM
$329.99 at Rockler

Peter Quinn
10-26-2008, 8:20 PM
Another interesting joinery option. Any idea what the maximum depth of hole is? I looked at the Freud announcement and didn't see that listed.

Matt Ocel
10-26-2008, 8:21 PM
I just went online to order it and it is allready sold out due to high demand.:mad:

Dave Lehnert
10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Guess it all what you compare it to but $329 seems a bit high. $199 would be in line with a biscuit jointer but then a Festool domino is what $700? May be a bargain at $329.
Will be interesting to see what woodworkers will come up with using this tool.

Joe Vincent
10-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up. Does it have a system for registering the holes a la Dowelmax? Or do you line it up with pencil marks like a biscuit joiner?

Pete Clifford
10-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Another interesting joinery option. Any idea what the maximum depth of hole is? I looked at the Freud announcement and didn't see that listed.
According to the Rockler site, "with bits spaced exactly 32 mm apart, it’s especially suited for Eurpean cabinet applications. Drills two holes simultaneously up to 1-3/8" deep."

I'm too lazy to look it up. Does it have a system for registering the holes a la Dowelmax? Or do you line it up with pencil marks like a biscuit joiner?
- "Adjustable indexing pins ensure even spacing of repetitive holes."

C Scott McDonald
10-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Looks pretty cool. We should start a stop watch to see how long it takes a Festool fan boy to come in and start ripping it up :)

Scott

Rick Fisher
10-26-2008, 11:38 PM
I just got a Domino.
I dont think I need two of these types of tools.
I am not a big fan of Freud electric tools. This one does look interesting.

I bet everyone has one of these soon enough.

Gary Lange
10-27-2008, 9:50 AM
Why spend $329.00 for the electric Dowel Machine when for about $60.00 or so you can buy this. You only use it once in a while I would think and you can put the money you save into something that you will be using more.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/dowelmax.htm

James White
10-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Gary,

Were did you see this for $60? The bottom of that review shows it on Amazon for $310.

James

glenn bradley
10-27-2008, 10:19 AM
It seems that by the time you get a DowelMax really setup as a versatile tool you push $200 and can go beyond but, I would do that before I'd go with a dedicated one-trick-pony. I went with a Mortise Pal but I do more mortising than doweling. Also, I don't know that DowelMax can help you with surface drilling(?). So, as usual folks . . . What's Best? . . . it depends.

Brent Smith
10-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Why spend $329.00 for the electric Dowel Machine when for about $60.00 or so you can buy this. You only use it once in a while I would think and you can put the money you save into something that you will be using more.

Hi Gary,

Let's go into business together. You buy Dowelmaxs for $60, and I'll sell them for double that and split the profits with you :D. I think you better double check that price :). It's a great tool, but does have it's limitations just as most tools do.

The Freud tool looks like it's strength that will set it apart from other dowelling tools would be in doing panel work. Most dowel jigs leave something to be desired if you want to set a line of dowels in the middle of a panel (ie. a bookcase side). With this tool a straight edge and you're ready to go. Pretty much a bisuit joiner that drills for dowels instead of cuts for biscuits.

Gary Herrmann
10-27-2008, 11:32 AM
It seems that by the time you get a DowelMax really setup as a versatile tool you push $200 and can go beyond but, I would do that before I'd go with a dedicated one-trick-pony. I went with a Mortise Pal but I do more mortising than doweling. Also, I don't know that DowelMax can help you with surface drilling(?). So, as usual folks . . . What's Best? . . . it depends.

Glenn, I've been looking at the mortise pal. What do you see as the pros and cons of it? Sorry I'm hijacking the thread...

Wade Lippman
10-27-2008, 2:08 PM
If the distance was variable it would be interested. But with the two holes fixed at 32mm apart, I don't think I would get enough use out of it.

Comparing it to the domino...
I think the best part of the domino is the indexing from hole to hole; it is done easily and perfectly. This doesn't have that feature. (But I don't think the new domino does either; if not, I surely wouldn't pay $700 for it.)

Brent Smith
10-27-2008, 2:43 PM
Hi Wade,

According to the Freud site, it has adjustable indexing pins. I didn't see anything about outrigger pins for longer spans.

glenn bradley
10-27-2008, 3:20 PM
Glenn, I've been looking at the mortise pal. What do you see as the pros and cons of it? Sorry I'm hijacking the thread...

Gary, I sent you a PM on the MP <--- clever, eh?

Dave Lehnert
10-27-2008, 3:45 PM

Get me all excited on the $60 price. The Dowelmax is $310.

Matt Ocel
10-27-2008, 4:31 PM
Just went into the local Woodcraft store. The manager said the Freud rep was in last week with one to Demo and he really liked it. Sounded like it pretty much performs as stated. I sure would like to kick the tires.

When I asked about availability, he said there not quite here yet, but should be here shortly.

Peter Quinn
10-27-2008, 9:14 PM
What I see with this Freud tool versus any other doweling jig I have seen or used is speed over distance like a biscuit jointer or a domino. Seems for the pro shop this tool might make sense if a line borer is out of range or not needed frequently enough to justify the cost or space. For my own shop this tool does not drill deep enough for most of my needs. If you built euro boxes on site this would be a gem. For hobby use? There has to be ten other ways to do this job that cost less. For furniture or frame and panel joinery with dowels, might be an interesting option depending on what you already own and what you want to build.

Ken Milhinch
10-27-2008, 10:56 PM

As we all know by now, the Dowelmax is a little over $300, and for that money you might consider this. http://www.ozziejigs.com.au/
With the Australian dollar plumbing the depths, this would probably work out to a little over US$200

I HAVE NO INTEREST IN THIS BUSINESS, AND IN FACT JUST SAW IT DEMONSTRATED AT A WOODSHOW LAST WEEK. It seems more versatile than the Dowelmax and easier to set up.

Gary Lange
10-28-2008, 9:52 AM
Sorry about that I didn't look up the price on that Jig. I bought a Dowel Jig at Grizzly for about $32.00 and it works fine for the purpose intended. I can't see spending $329.00 for and electric machine and certainly do not see the $310.00 price tag on the Dowelmax Jig. These must be the same people that price tools for the Government. Hence the $200.00 Hammer.