PDA

View Full Version : Art Glass

Ben Davis
10-26-2008, 7:49 PM
Anyone know how to get started in Art Glass stuff? I'm mostly looking to make simple panels for Arts and Crafts style things. Maybe a very simple lamp shade similar to some of the Frank Loyd Wright . Very "easy" stuff. Nothing fancy.

Something like http://www.lampsplus.com/Products/Arts-and-Crafts-Style-Honey-Glass-Table-Lamp__97529.html.

Pat Germain
10-26-2008, 9:07 PM
I would recommend taking a class. My wife and I took a stained glass class a couple of years ago. It was pretty cool. We learned how to cut and grind the glass, apply copper tape and solder the pieces together.

Most art glass stores offer classes for a reasonable fee. The classes typically involve making a simple project which you keep.

Making a Tiffany lamp shade is quite involved. But the example you gave actually looks pretty simple. I'm betting is has only four pieces of glass which are attached to the metal grid. You'd still require cutters and a grinder for that project. You might even be able to buy a kit for that lamp.

Some art glass is inexpensive, but it seemed every type I liked was high-priced. I enjoyed working with glass. But I like working with wood better. I'm hoping to someday combine the two. Compared to woodworking tools, the investment required for glass tools is minimal.

David G Baker
10-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Several friends that I worked with in California took college classes in stained glass. I saw some of their work, it was great.

Perry Holbrook
10-27-2008, 7:37 AM
Ben, I see you are in the Wilmington area. There should be a retail store in the area that sells the glass and offers reasons. Another idea would be to visit some of the craft galleries there. Those folks are usually knowledgable about the local art scene and may be able to direct you. (One of the galleries in your area that carries my work is Ocean Gallery).

If you like a real treat take a class at John C Campbell Folk School at the other end of the state near Murphy, NC.

It's not hard to self teach yourself the basis of stain glass, I did years ago and have let my interest in glass grow to a vocation.

Perry

Ben Davis
10-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Perry,

Thanks for the info. I'll find the Gallery where your boxes are sold to take a look! Like I said in the OP, I'm mostly interested in the clear art glass for Arts and Crafts furniture (e.g. glass panels in doors, etc.) and mica for simple decorative lamp shades.

First things first though is to figure out what tools and equipment is needed for the simple work and then plan that into the workshop / garage.