PDA

View Full Version : Need help with band saw tire size

Les Zielinski
10-26-2008, 7:41 PM
Purchased and old bandsaw Craftsman model 137.224140. This band saw has not been used much. It looks to me like a 14" Delta clone. Saw has yellowish tires (not rubber). I think that those are original Craftsman tires. Over time the material of tires hardened and cracked. (Saw has been stored in the shed without air condition in Florida).
I want to replace the tires. The wheels are 1.25" wide with the groove that is 1" wide with a slight crown. Carter urethane tires for 14" bandsaw are 7/8" wide. Suffolk Machinery shows a tire for 14" bandsaw with a 1" wide wheel. Do not know anything about band saws but I would think that I need a tire that is 1" wide.
Is it OK to use a 7/8" wide tire or should I look for the 1" wide?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Les

Victor Stearns
10-26-2008, 8:23 PM
Les,
Greetings. I called Carter when trying to locate tires for my 20" Delta. I used their blue urethane and cut the width down after installation. Very happy with the results.
Good Luck
Victor

Lee Schierer
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I would think that the 7/8" tire would fit right on a 1" wide wheel. Give the folks at Suffolk Machinery a call and they will advise you. They also have tires that are not listed on their website.

Gary McNair
10-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi Les
I'm having a similar problem. My saw in a very old 14" Delta. The distance between the flanges on the wheels is slightly under 1" - .963" +/-. I purchased the Carter Blue tires which are about 7/8" wide. When I go for best tracking and tension, the blade moves the tire back and forth across the wheel face, a tuneup nightmare.
The other problem is the tire thickness. The new Carter Blue tire is 3/32" thick. The blade rubs in the back guard since the wheel+tire O.D. isn't large enough. The old Delta tires I removed were noticeably thicker. On the Carter website, they list an alternate tire that is 1 1/4" wide and 5/32nds thick. They state the width must be trimmed to fit etc. These must be glued on.
So I've ordered a pair of these hoping the width can be made to fit AND the O.D. will increase enough to prevent the blade rub.
Gary