PDA

View Full Version : A question about dovetails

Niels J. Larsen
10-26-2008, 5:46 PM
Why are the pins in handcut dovetails usually cut so relatively thin compared to machined dovetails?

Is it because someone defined it to look "nicer"?

I'm thinking that the thin pins will have less strength, than e.g. tails and pins of equal size. Am I wrong?

Alan DuBoff
10-26-2008, 6:03 PM
No, your not wrong, the strongest joint will be made with pins/tails of equal spacing, in theory, given the same wood used for both.

One reason you don't see machines dovetails with such small pins is that it would be dangerous for most tools used (i.e., a power router spinning at 20,000 rpm) to have a cutter that allowed for for such a small pin.

I think handcrafters take advantage of that fact and make their pins small on purpose to point out the fact that handcut joinery can offer that, but that is certainly debatable and I'm not looking to pick a fight...;)

harry strasil
10-26-2008, 6:44 PM
its a personal preference thing, some old furniture had real thin dovetails.

Personally I usually don't mark off the distance equally, often I just cut the taper of the tails with the saw and don't bother to lay them out equal.

I have seen a reference by some normites, to scribe a line the full length of the base line of machine cut dovetails to give the impression that they are hand cut. LOL

Peter Quadarella
10-26-2008, 8:33 PM
It seems to me that thin pins were once a sign of the skill of the craftsman. From a strength perspective any dovetail joint is very strong so I doubt it matters, but yes technically the equally sized ones are stronger.