PDA

View Full Version : question about a woodworking website

Joe Dowdy
10-26-2008, 12:15 AM
anyone ever had any dealings with Steebar.com, I ordered 50 pen kits and was charged and never got a shipping notification and wont answer the phone or respond to emails. Just wanted to see what the skinny is, thanks all in advance.

Joe

Hank St.Pierre
10-26-2008, 2:52 AM
I had the same experience with Steebar. I ordered a live center and a couple other small items and expected them to arrive in a week or so. After two weeks had passed I sent an email and received no response. I emailed them several more times and still got no response. After three weeks I tried calling them many times, but never got them to answer the phone. Several weeks later, at the Totally Turning Symposium in Albany, I confronted them in the vendor area. Their rep apologized and said he didn't know how a thing like that could happen etc.etc. and promised to get the out to me as soon as he returned from the symposium. Yeah, six weeks later I received the order.
You will probably receive your order, but don't expect it soon and don't expect them to answer your emails or phone calls. There are too many good suppliers out there for me to bother with them again.
Good Luck,
Hank

Joe Dowdy
10-26-2008, 10:41 AM
man ol man I knew I should have went with someone else. Thanks for the reply and I will never order anything from them again

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Joe I had the same issue with them. I guess I don't have as much patience as you guys do. After 3 weeks of not answering my e-mails and phone calls I called my credit card and had them take care of it. There is no excuse.

Steve Schlumpf
10-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Joe - sorry to hear about your troubles getting your order! Hopefully the order will arrive before much longer!

Also - wanted to Welcome you to the Creek! I look forward to seeing some of your work! Remember - we really like photos - lots of photos!

Andrew Derhammer
10-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Check your local state laws. I know if you live in New Jersey a company can not charge the CC until the order is shipped(including out of state orders IIRC). I'd like to see these guys get in big trouble. It used to be a reputable company and then it was bought out by someone and since then it's been run horribly.

Joe Dowdy
10-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the replys guys and in fact I just started turning and love it. Working my way up from the pens, but when the wife saw my first pen she now wants 46 for christmas presents and thats why I order 50 from steedee. As far as pictures I will get some up this afternoon and make a new post of them.

Jon Lanier
10-26-2008, 1:56 PM
All I know is I don't order for Steebar any longer.

Bill Arnold
10-26-2008, 2:53 PM
anyone ever had any dealings with Steebar.com, I ordered 50 pen kits and was charged and never got a shipping notification and wont answer the phone or respond to emails. Just wanted to see what the skinny is, thanks all in advance.

Joe
Joe,

First, welcome to the Forum. There's a lot of great information available here.

Secondly, when I was interested in learning to do pens a while back, I asked on another forum (can't mention the name of the forum here because of rules) about vendors. I got a long list of vendors with positive references. I was told to avoid Steebar like the plague!

;)