PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to use MDO

Doug Shepard
10-25-2008, 9:39 PM
Just an observation that I just realized today though it should have been rather obvious. But 3/4" MDO isn't undersized like most 3/4" ply. It's actually oversized at 25/32" due to the paper face layers. I've been working with some leftovers on a small project but never cut dados in it until today. No mucking about with shims for a good fit. It's an exact 25/32" and the dados come out just right with the right combo of chippers on my dado stack. Seems like I'm always fussing with shims to get a god fit with any other 3/4 ply.

Ben Davis
10-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Just an observation that I just realized today though it should have been rather obvious. But 3/4" MDO isn't undersized like most 3/4" ply. It's actually oversized at 25/32" due to the paper face layers. I've been working with some leftovers on a small project but never cut dados in it until today. No mucking about with shims for a good fit. It's an exact 25/32" and the dados come out just right with the right combo of chippers on my dado stack. Seems like I'm always fussing with shims to get a god fit with any other 3/4 ply.
Ahh... Norm's favorite. I've never seen it sold in any of the lumber yards around me though. Not in Florida, Louisiana, Texas, or now North Carolina. How much for a sheet of the stuff?

Doug Shepard
10-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Ben
I can't find my receipt but I'm pretty sure it was $68 per sheet. I've got a place about 5 minutes from me that has MDO, BB, cabinet ply, bending ply, MDF, Mahog. door skin - all sorts of good stuff.

Rick Levine
10-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I had the same issue finding MDO a few months ago and went to my local HD, the contractor's counter, and asked if they could get it. I was told they could special order it for about $55 for 2 sided 3/4" and about $47 for 1 sided. The only thing was it had to be sandwiched between sheets of OSB for protection and that would cost about $9 each for 2 sheets. So it is costly but available. I haven't ordered any yet but at least I can get it.

Phil Thien
10-26-2008, 7:05 PM
The larger Menards stores carry it.

Wayne Cannon
10-28-2008, 12:08 AM
MDO should be readily available anywhere. Aside from aluminum, it is probably the most widely used material for simple, flat, outdoor signs. I get MDO here from a local dealer that serves cabinet shops. Ask a local sign shop or cabinet shop where they get their materials.

Jeff Duncan
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Just don't forget that it's thickness will ultimately depend on who's making it. Always check beforehand and don't just assume b/c it was one dimension yesterday will mean it's the same dimension next time.
JeffD