PDA

View Full Version : Need help, my planer stopped working

Tim Null
10-25-2008, 9:27 PM
Ok, it is a Rigid.

Got it just over 90 days ago, so taking it back to HD (Borg) is not an option.

I used it to plane a board earlier today and it worked fine. Tried to plane another board and it did not work.

Motor was running, but making a whining noise. blades were not turning. After a few minutes, the breaker engaged and shut off. I reset the switch and tried again but nothing. The motor case was getting hot, so I just shut it off and grabbed a plane!

Any ideas? I can deal with the service center, but wondered if this has happened to anyone here. Other idea, buy a better palner! LOL

Thanks,

TimN

Josh Rudolph
10-25-2008, 9:43 PM
A guy I work with had the same problem, he had to send the planer to be serviced. I am not sure what the service center found as the problem. They (service center) had to send it back to Rigid.

However, he had a heck of a time getting the planer back. Rigid kept jerking him around. Finally after 3 months of continuous calling they sent him a new one.

Good news was he got a brand new planer, bad news was he was without for over 3 months.

Good luck.

Mike Hoyt
10-25-2008, 9:47 PM
Hi there did you have the dust chute attached? I have a 4330 and the dust chute holds down a spindle lock the keeps the cutter head from turning during blade changes. It almost sounds like that may be your issue. Other than that I have a hard time thinking of anything that would prevent the cutterhead from turning short of some obvious obstruction. I hope this helps.

Mike

Tim Null
10-25-2008, 9:58 PM
Mike, you are the man!

I did have it on at first, but I guess it was not screwed in all of the way. It must not have been depressing the switch you mentioned, makes sense for safety reasons.

After it did not work at first, I took of the cover to see what was the matter, and then tried to get it to work without putting the cover back on.......DOH!

I just tried it again with the cover firmly screwed in and it worked.

Sounds a bit rough, but it always sounded like that.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was not looking forward to dealing with a service center.

TimN

Mike Hoyt
10-25-2008, 10:51 PM
No problem at all, now that your back in business get out there and make some shavings!!:D

Rod Sheridan
10-27-2008, 9:31 AM
Mike, you are the man!

I did have it on at first, but I guess it was not screwed in all of the way. It must not have been depressing the switch you mentioned, makes sense for safety reasons.

After it did not work at first, I took of the cover to see what was the matter, and then tried to get it to work without putting the cover back on.......DOH!

Thanks for the quick reply. I was not looking forward to dealing with a service center.

TimN

Hi Tom, if I understand the post, you were running the planer with the cutter lock engaged and the motor was running but the cutter wasn't turning?

If that's correct, I'd take the planer apart to see what has been damaged, belts, pulleys gears etc.

It may be running, but something was slipping enough to have been severely overheated.

Regards, Rod.

Harley Reasons
10-27-2008, 8:48 PM
Mike, you are the man!

TimN
Instead of taking it to a service center, return it to the HD BORG and let them send it to their repair center (which is Ridgid Certified). Turn around time normally is a lot faster also. There will be a $35 up front charge that will be refunded because it will be a warranty repair. Then you have faces to yell at when & if things don't happen as fast as it should.