PDA

View Full Version : Table saws

Craig Richmond
10-25-2008, 9:10 PM
I am in need of a good table saw. I am not a professional but would like a nice saw, something that will last me a number of years. I have found a used Jet 10" (I think 10") with ext. table at a local pawn shop. Its in good shape other than needing a little cleaning. I am not sure of the HP, I will have to go back and look again. I am thinking it will be up for sale for about $600.00. I have also thought about a sears "Professional Series" model or maybe just the big Hitachi saw Lowe's sells for about $400. something.

What would you guys suggest?

glenn bradley
10-25-2008, 9:59 PM
Check the model of the Jet. If it is a large cabinet saw $600 would be a steal if it is in workable shape. If it is a contractor saw it is in the range of many good new saws and I would walk away. Please let us know a little more info because it could be a great find or an overpriced used saw. We just don't know without a bit more detail ;-)

Joe Mioux
10-25-2008, 10:13 PM
you know, I was really really happy with my old GI contractor saw.

I sold it for around $600 earlier this year.

In some ways I wouldn't mind having it back in lieu of my current saw.

the top was flat, the fence was square, the blade was square.... for probably 90 pct of my woodworking needs that saw worked superbly.

joe

p.s. my current saw is a sawstop cabinet saw.

Craig Richmond
10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
This is what the saw looks like.

Tom Veatch
10-25-2008, 11:33 PM
This is what the saw looks like.

I own that saw in the left tilt version, JET JTAS-10XL. On the face of it, $600 is roughly 1/3 the price of a new 3HP version of that saw and is a very good price for, IMO, a very good cabinet saw. That assumes, of course, that it's complete and in good shape.

There are 3 different version of the 10" model; a 3HP single phase, 5HP single phase, and 5HP three phase. The single phase models require 240volt electrical supply. 20amp for the 3HP and 30 amp for the 5HP.

If it's the 3 phase model, and you don't have 3 phase power available, I'd shy away from the saw unless it is in super good shape. You'll incur considerable additional expense providing power to the existing motor or replacing it with a 1 phase motor.

On the whole, assuming it's in good shape, 3/5 HP single phase, $600 is gloatworthy.

Craig Richmond
10-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Tom,

What is the plug configuration on the 3 phase?

Eddie Johnston
10-26-2008, 12:30 AM
I just bought the same saw for $800 and was jumping up and down at that price.

Tom Veatch
10-26-2008, 3:35 AM
Tom,

What is the plug configuration on the 3 phase?

I'm sorry, but I have no way of knowing for sure. As I recall, my saw was purchased new, but didn't have a plug on the power cable. I had to add one to match the configuration of the receptacles on the circuit I planned to use. I expect that would be the situation with that saw, also.

It's unlikely the saw is 3-phase since 3-phase power is usually found in commercial/industrial installations, and not many commercial organizations pawn their equipment. But the possibility that a 3-phase machine found it's way to a pawn shop should be kept in mind.

A chart of the NEMA straight blade configurations can be found here (http://www.westernextralite.com/resources.asp?key=69). The NEMA designations are "X-YY" where X is the series number and YY is the maximum amperage rating of the device. The "P" and "R" suffixes indicate Plug (male) or Receptacle (female), respectively.

If the saw is 3-phase, it will probably have one of the NEMA 15 series (3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding) with 3 blades on the plug plus a ground prong. A single phase saw will probably have one of the NEMA 6 series (2 Pole 3 Wire Grounding) and have only 2 blades plus ground. But none of that is guaranteed. You might want to print the chart and use it to try to identify the plug on the saw.

It's even possible that the previous owner wired it with a locking plug. Here (http://www.westernextralite.com/resources.asp?key=70) is a chart for NEMA locking (twist-lock) configurations. The identification code is the same as the straight blade code except with an "L" prefix.

Note many of the configurations are very similar and differ mainly in physical size. Even with a lot of familiarity with the various NEMA configurations the only way to be certain without disassembling the switch or opening the junction box on the motor is to check the motor's data plate - assuming it's visible without removing the motor. The data plate will state whether the motor is 1 or 3 phase. The pawn shop owner might know, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The one's I've mentioned are nowhere near all the possibilities. There's really no way to know what plug the previous owner might have used to match up to a circuit he already had available. Sorry, but that's the best I can do to answer your question.

Craig Richmond
11-01-2008, 3:53 PM
Here is an update,

I added some new pics. The motor is a 3hp. I still have not locked them to a price but I am thinking about $600. No accessories there other then what you see. If it works, do you think the price is good?

Craig Richmond
11-01-2008, 4:03 PM
Sorry, pictures did not take in other message.

Karl Brogger
11-01-2008, 5:21 PM
For $600, I'd jump on it.

Curt Harms
11-01-2008, 6:39 PM
Unfortunately you probably can't determine if there are any cracked trunions or any other major damage. If you haven't do it, raise and lower the blade throughout its range of motion. Same with tilt. Turn the arbor and make sure the bearings aren't grinding. Check the condition of the drive belts. Otherwise, $600 is gloat worthy IMO. One advantage of the newer brand name machines is that parts are readily available should you need them and Jet has good customer service.

HTH

Curt

Scott Myers
11-01-2008, 7:54 PM
Even if some bearings need replaced, that's a great deal. Of course this is provided the motor and everything else is in working order! So check it out carefully. If it's in good shape and you don't want it, I'd sure snap it up myself. It sure won't go down in value!

Here is an update,

I added some new pics. The motor is a 3hp. I still have not locked them to a price but I am thinking about $600. No accessories there other then what you see. If it works, do you think the price is good?

Craig Richmond
11-02-2008, 6:36 PM
I will take a look at all of these things and more before I put the money down. I will also take another look at Sears.

Craig Richmond
11-11-2008, 6:40 PM
Update:
The saw finaly came up for sale and I am looking at $600.00 out the door. I am going to try and talk them down another $50. The motor is 3hp. and 220 power. I will have to buy about $50 to $75 in parts and work on the ext. table. So BUY or NO BUY?
P.S. Pluged it in and it worked.

Cary Falk
11-11-2008, 6:46 PM
buy it now even at $600.

Aaron Berk
11-11-2008, 7:45 PM
Buy it. Jet is a good name.
I'm in the market to upgrade from my 113. series Craftsman contractor saw, and if that Jet were in my local pawn shops I'd scoop it up.
Blessed Be
Aaron

Craig Johnson
11-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow. That sounds like buy it............. NOW!!!

Craig Richmond
11-12-2008, 2:31 PM
Well, its a done deal. I will pick up on monday. Thanks for the help!

Jerome Hanby
11-12-2008, 4:55 PM
I'd jump on it!