PDA

View Full Version : Cutting around text

Bill Jermyn
10-25-2008, 6:43 PM
I spent a while figuring out how to make a namebadge with text projecting outside the badge. I know most of you already know how to do this, but I thought I'd make a video to demonstrate how I did it. This forum has been a tremendous help to me, so I wanted to give a little bit back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4uo_nRB4Ho

Dee Gallo
10-25-2008, 6:49 PM
Good job, Bill! Nice and clear, easy to follow.

cheers, dee

Roy Nicholson
10-26-2008, 3:44 AM
I've just had my first attempt at vector cutting badfge plastic and it was woefull.

Could you help out with the laser settings.

I've only got a low wattage laser.

I can cut Acrylic and ply but I'm not having any success with the badge plastic.

Regards

Roy N.

Bob Cole
10-26-2008, 4:42 AM
Roy,

It really depends on the machine and the power. If you give us your system specs someone may have a similar machine to help you.

Bill Jermyn
10-26-2008, 9:06 AM
On my Legend 32EX 75 Watt, I use 22 speed & 10 power for vector, and 50 speed and 70 power for raster, but I would always recommend testing, using the minimum power and maximum speed that works for you.

Dave Johnson29
10-26-2008, 5:57 PM
I spent a while figuring out how to make a namebadge with text projecting outside the badge.

Hi Bill, Thanks for that. Watching this X3 and X4 stuff has me very dissatisfied with v10. I may have to spring for an upgrade.

Lonny Meeks
10-26-2008, 6:39 PM
Bill

Thanks for the very informative video. It was very helpful.

Anthony Welch
10-26-2008, 7:03 PM
I appreciate it also. Even the idea of the name badge is appreciated.

Thanks!
Anthony

Bill Jermyn
10-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Actually, someone had posted a similar one here a while ago, but I couldn't find it, so I had to re-invent the wheel....

Ray Uebner
10-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Good Job. Thanks for the post. It is always nice to learn new thing in corel. Thanks again.

Craig Hogarth
10-28-2008, 1:37 PM
I do a lot of custom cut out name badges. I found that it allows larger use of a logo without giving the appearance of an oversized name badge. The larger size of course means more revenue. In addition, when you're able to sell a custom cut out to a client, they replace all their existing badges instead of having you make just the ones they need.

When i do mine, I make a contour around the logo/text that will extend outside the normal area. After breaking apart the contour, weld the normal area and the contour into one outline.

There's nothing wrong with the way you have yours done, but if they're wearing a black shirt, the "A" could get lost in it. Also, some letters have sharp points which isn't a good idea to cut out, so the contour will allow you to smooth the corners.