PDA

View Full Version : I'll admit it......I'm a rookie....

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2008, 6:42 PM
when it comes to bandsaws.

In HS I ran with a couple of friends who were the scholastics. So, I took the courses they did....chemistry...physics.....higher level math classes. I'll admit it...I never took one shop class....not one. I did take typing, however.

Most of what woodworking I know, I learned from working part time for a neighbor in Bend, Oregon one year. He was a building contractor who built homes for a living. I worked for him with the understanding that if my pager went off, I could go to the hospital and work on the CT scanner. We built one home, gutted and did a major remodel on another home and built a playground.

Then PBS brought out TOH and Norm. I learned a lot from them. Over the years I took on a lot of major remodels in my homes and my families homes. Then I stumbled onto the Creek.

I had never used a bandsaw in my life. NEVER! Last fall I ordered a MM-16 based on several Creeker recommendations, Mark Duginske's "You can't go wrong with any of those Italian bandsaws" and Min-Max's generosity in giving Steve Clardy a new bandsaw when heavy snow collapsed the roof on his shop destroying his old bandsaw. Steve is a pro and makes his living out of that shop.

Using Mark Duginske's new book as a guide and conversation or two with Sam Blasco I managed to get my b/s set up and running. Even with the cheap blade that came with the saw, I was able to do a pretty decent job of resawing some 1/8" strips from a fir 2x6.

Today, working on a turning project for another Creeker, I wanted to make a template. Using a contour gauge, I transferred the profile of the pattern wheel to a piece of scrap plywood. Then using that new bandsaw, I was able to freehand that cut that template in a short period of time. I placed the pattern wheel in it and it fit like a glove. I was jacked! My wife wasn't nearly excited about it as I was?:confused:

This was my first practical use of my MM-16. It won't be the last. I can't wait to find another excuse to use it. The DC worked great with it too!

Greg Cole
10-25-2008, 7:05 PM
I was jacked! My wife wasn't nearly excited about it as I was?:confused:
Thats something I seem to bump into alot......
Thats one nice saw you have there Ken.
And no fugly curtains in your newly commissioned shop either....;)
Greg

glenn bradley
10-25-2008, 7:44 PM
That's great Ken. I have the feeling this is the beginning of a long relationship.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2008, 9:01 PM
Glenn,

I'm sure you are right. I just went to the turning wood pile in the driveway in front of my shop. I pulled out a piece of maple burl that was given to me 18 months ago. I took to the bandsaw.....squared up one end...marked it with a compass and cut my first round turning blank!

No more beating myself to death while making square or rectangular bowl blanks round!

Fantastic!

Jim Becker
10-25-2008, 9:08 PM
Kewel beanies, Ken!!! One of the neatest things I learned about using the band saw awhile back is...to relax...and let the saw do the work as you concentrate on a steady, even feed rate. When you do that, it's totally amazing how easy it is to follow a line fairly accurately.

Steve Schlumpf
10-25-2008, 9:13 PM
Ken - congrats on your new bandsaw! When it comes to cutting out bowl blanks - be sure that the side facing down on the table is flat. If not - your saw will rip that thing right out of your hands and slam it down faster than you can blink - and - chances are it will put a kink in your blade that will render it inoperable!! DAMHIKT Have fun with it!

Don Bullock
10-25-2008, 9:14 PM
Hey Ken, congratulations. You sure started out with a beauty. I'm glad to see that you're getting to know what it can do for you.

Band saws are awesome machines to work with. They can do a lot of things that others saws can't and they can do better some of the other saws can do. I'm amazed at some of the things that people try to do on a table saw or miter saw that would be much easier and safer on a band saw.

While my 14" isn't nearly as nice as your MM-16 it's enough for me now. Perhaps someday the LOML will see that I "need" a bigger one for a project she wants me to make.

Kewel beanies, Ken!!! One of the neatest things I learned about using the band saw awhile back is...to relax...and let the saw do the work as you concentrate on a steady, even feed rate. When you do that, it's totally amazing how easy it is to follow a line fairly accurately.

Jim, that's a great lesson for all to learn who use a band saw. Well said.

Chris Padilla
10-27-2008, 9:41 PM
Ken - congrats on your new bandsaw! When it comes to cutting out bowl blanks - be sure that the side facing down on the table is flat. If not - your saw will rip that thing right out of your hands and slam it down faster than you can blink - and - chances are it will put a kink in your blade that will render it inoperable!! DAMHIKT Have fun with it!

Really?! :p

Joe Mioux
10-27-2008, 9:56 PM
ken, with the exception of you being a whole lot older than me ;) , your HS description and the TOH almost mirrors my interest in woodworking.

When I was in grade school and high school, I always helped my dad fix stuff around the house and at work. I could solder copper pipe before I was 10 years old.

that mm16 is a pretty cool machine. Recently, I have been cutting a few blanks with it. However, it worked extremely well resawing 16 foot 10x10's old oak during an earlier project.

Lon LeBlanc
10-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Ken,

My history is a lot like yours. I've never used a planer. Then, I ran across a deal on one last year that I simply couldn't pass up. However, the planer sat in the garage for about 4 months before I ever had the courage to fire it up. (Well, it was winter, also, did I mention?!!) It was a wonderful feeling to slide a board through it and feel the smoothness on the outfeed side.

The feeling of accomplishment is a good one and has done a lot to build confidence that I can tackle more complicated tasks in the future.

Enjoy!

Lon