PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist jointer?

Kent E. Matthew
10-25-2008, 6:15 PM
I am beginning to get serious about a jointer. I am interested in only a 6" jointer. I know the prevailing wisdom on this board is to go at least an 8". I have never needed more than just a 6". On the list 3 Delta DJ-15's. A couple of Powermatics, and one General. I have already tried to contact the guy with the General but have not been able to connect with him yet. Am I a fool for passing on the Powermatics?

Jim Becker
10-25-2008, 6:36 PM
Any of those machines will be worthy of your consideration. Jointers are not complicated machines... PM jointers are generally very good, especially the older ones which can be quite sought after.

Gary Herrmann
10-25-2008, 7:23 PM
I used to have a PM 6" and now have a General 8". Both are good jointers. I do think the General is a better jointer, and not just because of the extra 2".

Go see both if you can and make your choice based on the condition of each. Also think about if you like hand wheels or the stalk type (can't remember the exact term) adjustment for table height.

Kent E. Matthew
10-25-2008, 8:15 PM
Thanks to all for your responses. I just found another Powermatic 6". The photo shows the metal label on the machine. It says Powermatic Houdaille. What is this? What is the difference?

glenn bradley
10-25-2008, 10:18 PM
From a google search:

In 1966, Powermatic - now run by Smith's sons - was sold to Houdaille Industries; machines were labeled "Powermatic Houdaille." In about 1988, Houdaille sold Powermatic to Devlieg-Bullard, which re-sold Powermatic in 1999 to machinery importer Jet Equipment & Tools.

Bruce Page
10-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Houdaille Industries owned Powermatic from 1966 to about 1988.

Bruce Page
10-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Opps, sorry Glenn, I took a commercial break…:rolleyes: