PDA

View Full Version : Bench Base

Greg Cole
10-25-2008, 5:56 PM
So I'm finally making some progress on a bench instead of just talking about needing one and how I'd like to make mine....
I'll have a bunch more to add to this as I go, but here's the start of my bench, to be named The Hybrid Bench. I figure the hybrid bench fits my WW'ing style of tailed & Neander working as well as my hybrid skills of woodworking and metal working.
Each leg weighs about 30 lbs, each front n rear stretcher is 14 lbs, and the side stretchers are 8 lbs. Base weight is @ 210 lbs. :D All parts for the base were rough cut to length on the Roll-In band saw and machined to 0.005 to 0.01mm in length with the longest piece being 43".. close 'nuff for me.
Needless to say, the base for the bench is super stout already and I still have a few tack welds to run over with fill rod to make'em purty & ultra strong. I 100% guarantee this base will never rack, nor will any seasonal humidity changes be an issue.;) I'd guess I have about 6 hours in the base to date.
I have a 2 1/4" hard maple top, 30"x72", maple & walnut skirting 1 1/2" thick x 4 1/2" tall already made. SO the final di's ont he top will be @ 33" x 75". I also have vice chops for the 2 vices made and waiting. 2 sets of Veritas bench dogs and holdfasts.
Stay tuned as the Hybrid Bench comes to life.

Cheers.
Greg

Robby Tacheny
10-25-2008, 6:32 PM
Very Cool! Can't wait to see it fully assembled. Keep the pictures coming.

-R

Gary Lange
10-25-2008, 6:33 PM
That is going to be one sturdy bench. I wouldn't want it falling on me that's for sure. Looks very nice all welded up and ready for paint or powdercoating.

Jim Becker
10-25-2008, 6:34 PM
That will be a bench with real mettle... :D

Greg Cole
10-25-2008, 6:40 PM
The base is all 304 stainless so painting it would be like painting curly maple..... I might have it glass bead blasted when I am done, not sure yet.
I hope like heck to have this thing useable in a week or so from now. Having worked way too long with a POS ply topped bench, can't get it done soon enough.

Greg

mark page
10-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Keep us informed on this one. Gonna need a roll-back to deliver it. Am looking forward to future pics.

Roy Wall
10-25-2008, 11:57 PM
That is certainly industrial grade --wow! Greg, post the finished product....looking good!!

John Keeton
10-26-2008, 8:34 AM
Greg, your metal work is admirable. Would love to have those skills. So many projects come to mind that mix metal working and woodworking. I am sure you will be very pleased with the final project - and I think the bead blasted finish on the SS would look great.

Bob Noles
10-26-2008, 9:41 AM
Alright Greg.... no fair holding back on the pictures of the top :rolleyes:

I believe you can name that "Mighty Bench".

Nice job!

Greg Cole
10-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Alright Greg.... no fair holding back on the pictures of the top :rolleyes:
I believe you can name that "Mighty Bench".
Nice job!
Hi Bob,
I've been wanting-needing a proper bench for awhile, so I decided I'd go "big" per say. I'm going to add in some storage underneath "some day". I just can't wait to make some curlies with it.
I'll have a pic of base, top and skirting all married together pretty soon, maybe a couple days if life doesn't get in the way too much.
There will be a pic of "your" # 7 on the top when I commence the flattening. BTW I hope to see the #7 Monday as I should also have a LV LA Jack (with all 3 blades) showing up Tues or Wed. Doesn't coiunt as a gloat really as I paid full price, but it's going to be a welcome addition to the fold.
I think I'm going to start leaving the shop lights on at night as the plane collection is multiplying....:D

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Greg

Dewey Torres
10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Greg,
I also have what you are calling a hybrid and it has worked out great for me. I didn't have the welding skills as you so I store bought a bench with a metal base and modified the heck out of it. Yours is looking good so far. How do you plan on ensuring it doesn't rock once you get it on your shop floor? Levelers perhaps?

Bob Noles
10-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Greg,

The #7 hasn't arrived yet??? Good grief, I could have walked it over there faster. Maybe it will be waiting on you when you get in Monday.

Can't wait to see that top.

Greg Cole
10-26-2008, 1:44 PM
How do you plan on ensuring it doesn't rock once you get it on your shop floor? Levelers perhaps?

Hi Dewey,
There's M16 threaded holes in the caps on the bottom of the legs. I use metric everything as the shop is tooled for dealing with machinery of Euro origins. I have a set of 4 rubber soled levelling feet for the task, the large diameter thread with a jam nut doesn't rock either. I can't say as I'll have to worry much about it sliding on the floor, as I think it'll tip the scale at at least 450lbs when done. :eek:

Bob,
I'm sort of surprised the #7 hasn't arrived too. Ah well, so long as it shows.

Ok nuff gabbbing, back to the last few welds. But the break from the ozone fumes is welcome, they make me loopy.:confused:

Greg Cole
10-26-2008, 3:56 PM
Well, all welding is done. Yay no more ozone today.....:confused:
Anyway, I have the base done. I managed to lug the top out and set it on the base and have the vices clamped in position just for a look see for my satisfaction. The top is bloody heavy to carry solo.... least I used the fork lift to get the base off the work table.
The skirting will meet the slab top very very soon. Some holes for the vices and dogs will be bored on the mill seen in the pics of the shop, if nothing else I am going to use the mill so I don't have to build a jig for a drill or router.
As also seen in the pics, smaller vice as a tail vice with a single row of dogs, the larger front vice will have a double dog row. All intentions of adding in a twin screw tail vice which will utilize the row of dig holes I am going to bore for the current planned tail vice.
I also tossed in a couple pics of the metal working den, nice thing about such an intimate relatioship with the employer is getting the toys I will use.... ie stuff I want.:D;):D
Cheers.
G

Greg Cole
10-26-2008, 3:58 PM
One more pic for good measure for the tool junkies... like me.:confused:
Its not a Bridgeport, but it's a dead on clone... new and accurate as heck.

G

Ken Garlock
10-26-2008, 5:43 PM
Hi Greg.

That is one great bench you are constructing.:cool:

I am curious about your bench top, it looks like the Booze butcher block top I bought from McMaster & Carr. My top is 30x96 and 2 1/4 inch thick. The 2 1/4 top is what caused me to ask if yours was also a Booze top.:confused:

Greg Cole
10-26-2008, 6:13 PM
Ken,
Yup, Boos Bros from McMaster. I did it for the expediency, same with the stainless base. Much faster than the traditional menthods.... but still will be a bench to last a few years at least.;)
Greg

Greg Cole
11-09-2008, 9:13 PM
Well a couple weeks later the bench is done. Quite a bit of time the last few weekends and here 'tis. The tail vice works pretty well, goos as expected for the price and ease if installation. The front vice isn't a twin screw, but works dran good too.
Final dim's are 73" long, 33" wide and about 450'ish lbs.:rolleyes:
I will have a cabinet and a couple drawers under neath "one of these days" for the growing .Neander arsenal

Cheers.
Greg

Andy Casiello
11-09-2008, 9:48 PM
Great looking bench, Greg! Very cool design and build! Nice shop to work in too!

Bob Noles
11-10-2008, 6:21 AM
Greg,

That bench really turned out nice. Good job!

Looks like Slow Bob pulled thru for you on the task :D:p

Bob Slater
11-10-2008, 7:24 AM
Great Bench....and shop.

Greg Cole
11-10-2008, 8:41 AM
Greg,

That bench really turned out nice. Good job!

Looks like Slow Bob pulled thru for you on the task :D:p

Thanks Bob. I didn't use Slow Bob on the bench (a Bailey #7 for those wondering...:p). Flattening the top was a PITA with the grain going every-darned-which-way with the pre-made top. But the new LA jack was just what the doctor ordered short of a trip through a wide belt.

Cheers.
Greg

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 9:23 AM
What a great bench, Greg!