PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Ultimate bandsaw

dennis thompson
10-25-2008, 3:30 PM
I have a small (10") Craftsman bandsaw which has worked pretty well for what I do (I'm strictly a hobbiest) . I see the Grizzly Ultimate bandsaw is on sale for $380 + $69 shipping. What do you think of the Grizzly?
Thanks
Dennis

max simpson
10-25-2008, 4:29 PM
I have the GO555 14 inch bandsaw with the 6 inch riser block and like it very well.The only problem I had was the tension screw stripped once,but I ordered new parts from Grizzly and it was a cheap fix.I also have a 3/4 inch blade that I resaw with,but I probably don't get the tension on the blade that I should. It still cuts very good though.

Jim Becker
10-25-2008, 6:41 PM
Griz makes nice machines and many, many folks have their band saws. I'm not sure I like the marketing designation of "Ultimate Band Saw" on a typical 14" machine ;), but they mean that they have put the normal options in the package, rather than charging separately for them. If you believe you are likely to want the taller 12" "resaw" capacity, do that up front so that you can start out immediately using the longer blades that are necessary with the riser block kit. (It's not something you change out...once it's on the machine, it's on the machine)

Walt Stevens
10-25-2008, 7:20 PM
I purchased a G0555 from the Grizzly E-bay site a couple of months ago. I managed to get 30% off by going through Live Search and paying with PayPal. I also purchased the riser block kit. The machine was easy to set up. I find the guides a little touchy to adjust, but this is my first experience with a bandsaw. I bought a 1/2 inch Woodslicer blade for resawing and a couple of Olson blades for everyday use. I'm very pleased with the saw. There is one minor thing that is annoying. The original guide post for the upper guides had a groove in it, so keeping the guides properly positioned while raising and lowering them and retightenng the set screw was easy. For some reason, the longer guide post that comes with the riser block doesn't have a groove, so you have to be very careful to keep the guides aligned properly when they are raised or lowered.

david kramer
10-26-2008, 6:41 PM
I bought a 1/2 inch Woodslicer blade for resawing and a couple of Olson blades for everyday

Walt,

How do you like the blade? I have a G0555x with the 3/4" timberwolf blade. It resaws pretty well, but it's not like it peels off smooth veneers, I still need to run resawn lumber through the drum sander to take off maybe another 1/32 or so. I'd love a blade that had less waste and work on resawn lumber. Then again, maybe it's something to do with my technique?

The original guide post for the upper guides had a groove in it, so keeping the guides properly positioned while raising and lowering them and retightenng the set screw was easy. For some reason, the longer guide post that comes with the riser block doesn't have a groove. I may not be thinking about the same groove (see pic). That's odd, I also got the riser and the guide post does have the groove in it. You might want to give Grizz a call and ask about that.

David

Walt Stevens
10-26-2008, 8:10 PM
Walt,

How do you like the blade? I have a G0555x with the 3/4" timberwolf blade. It resaws pretty well, but it's not like it peels off smooth veneers, I still need to run resawn lumber through the drum sander to take off maybe another 1/32 or so. I'd love a blade that had less waste and work on resawn lumber. Then again, maybe it's something to do with my technique?

David

I haven't used the Woodslicer yet. Hope to in the next few weeks. The Olson blades are very good. The smallest is 3/16 and I have used it for some scrolling.

I may not be thinking about the same groove (see pic). That's odd, I also got the riser and the guide post does have the groove in it. You might want to give Grizz a call and ask about that.

David

Your right. I was confused. There is a groove.

david kramer
10-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Your right. I was confused. There is a groove.

In that case, if the post is rotating when adjusting the height you probably have a problem with the ball bearing that keeps the rod in line. The instructions say to feed in the long post as you extract the short one in order to avoid "losing small parts". Of course when doing this I had small parts going every which way ;). I was more or less prepared for this and kept track of them. The small parts in question are a spring and a ball bearing. The ball rolls in the groove keeping it straight. The spring tension is adjusted via a small screw. So either you have lost one of the small parts or the set screw needs to be adjusted with an allen wrench.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I'll take some more pics.

David

Robby Tacheny
10-27-2008, 7:52 AM
Yeah. . . when I was putting on my riser block I pulled out the original post and the spring and ball bearing went flying! Luckily there is a little hex nut that you take out and put the parts into from the outside.

I just made a zero clearance insert for my router table last night for a 1/2" strait bit with my GO555x. I resawed a 6" board, cut a small circle with a jig I whipped up (which really pushed the "curve limits" of that stock 3/8" blade btw) and sanded smooth.

I can't wait to get a better blade. I was looking at the Olsens too from Rockler.

Get the GO555, I think you'll be very happy for under $400. Get the riser block though. It might save you the need to upgrade and will save you from "waiting to get around to it for a year" if you pick one up after the fact.

PS. Get a friend to help you put it together.

-R

Kermit Hodges
10-27-2008, 8:45 AM
I am not an import fan but I must admit that it is hard to beat saw (for the money). I bought one a few years ago because I needed one then. It will be replaced with a big old arn saw soon.

No problems with mine and I have been pleased with it. Except for the roller bearing guides. Contrary to the hype they received they are not an improvement over block guides. Mine is 3 year old I guess? I have bearings going out now. Bearings should be cheap to replace but if I were not going to replace it with the other saw I would probably convert it to a block style guides. The bearing work, don't get me wrong. They are just not the best choice IMO.

The reasons I don't like roller bearings because I know someone will argue with me.

Tiny contact area. You only have .001"-.005" contact width on the roller bearing compared to .250" or more on a block. Which offers better support??
Bearings guide then compress sawdust on the blade when blocks will tend to scrape the blade clean
Replacement blocks can be made from scrap wood in the shop.
Roller bearings are much noisier and fail to often

Walt Stevens
10-27-2008, 3:23 PM
Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I'll take some more pics.

David

I checked everything out again today. The spring and ball bearing definitely went flying around the shop when I took to original guide post out. I found them and put them back in when I installed the new guide post. I didn't tighten down on the ball bearing enough, so I corrected that. I still get a little play when I move the guides up and down, but the post re-centers when I tighten the set screw. I find the guides a little touchy, and I have to go through the adjustment procedure (bottom first, then the top) at least twice before I'm happy with the result. I'm not sure I could get them adjusted properly for a 1/8" blade. Kermit's comments about block guides is worth considering, but I'm not sure how that would help with adjustments.

Larry James
10-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a small (10") Craftsman bandsaw which has worked pretty well for what I do (I'm strictly a hobbiest) . I see the Grizzly Ultimate bandsaw is on sale for $380 + $69 shipping. What do you think of the Grizzly?
Thanks
Dennis

Dennis,

I'm also a "hobbiest" woodworker, and have been so for many years, but I have never owned a bandsaw. At about 11:00 PM last night, after a lot of "should I / no I shouldn't" debate, I ordered the G0555.

I have a Grizzly TS that I'm very satisfied with, and Griz has good customer service. I'll post a follow-up "review" after I've used it a while.

Jim Becker commented about the "Ultimate Band Saw" marketing designation. I have to agree that is sales hype.

This is going to be a very expensive bandsaw for me. I no longer have any good excuse why my wife shouldn't buy a new front loading washer and dryer after the holidays.

Larry