PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Tool Cabinet #2

Ron Fritz
10-25-2008, 9:14 AM
This is the second tool & storage cabinet that I designed and am making for my son's woodshop. The introduction of the 1st cabinet is in this thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50813

The 2nd cabinet was an idea that I had which started with a base cabinet of drawers and then slowly evolved into a cabinet on a cabinet. A door and internal drawers were added in the final design phase. The cabinet is now being constructed and I'll post additional pictures and notes as progress continues. All of my construction notes and photos for this cabinet are posted in my website HERE (http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/Toot-Cabinet-2/CSWS-Tool-Cabinet-2.htm).

The drawing for the cabinet was done in SketchUp then exported and rendered in Kerkythea. Ron

Jim Becker
10-25-2008, 9:43 AM
I REALLY like that, Ron! The design and format is wonderful. I even like the color choice!

Greg Cole
10-25-2008, 9:57 AM
Very nice Ron.
When will you be done with my cabinet?? Oh darn my Dad isn't named Ron, must be for another Greg.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the linky to the website, when I get my bench done I need to reorg the whole shop and storage is the 1st step to being organized...... and I've become a big fan of drawers for keeping organized not just hiding messes shoved in cabinets.

John Thompson
10-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Tool and storage cabinet for a work-shop my hinny! That would be better suited as an inside the house organizer cabinet in some function. Nice work indeed and you did an excellent job with the paint. Painting a finish piece as that is not so easy as painting trim or walls. I could never get the knack for that even though I love to paint for whatever strange reason.

Well done....

Sarge..

Ron Fritz
10-25-2008, 10:29 AM
John, thanks for the comments, however, the cabinet is still being built and the painted cabinets in the photos are actually SketchUp drawings that I rendered in Kerkythea. Kerkythea is awesome software for rendering. Also, I wasn't sure if I was going to paint the finished cabinet or finish it natural like the 1st cabinet, but the more I think about it I may paint it. Ron

John Schreiber
10-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Ron, The design and rendering are awesome. I've wanted to learn rendering, but just haven't taken the time. When I looked at the thumbnails, I thought that the pinkish/whitish one was a poor choice. Instead, its evidence that your craftsmanship in wood is every bit as good as your skill in SU and Kerky.

I'd go for paint. Actually if the wood is attractive, I wonder if you could play with the idea of having the contrasting color be natural wood.

John Schreiber
10-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Actually if the wood is attractive, I wonder if you could play with the idea of having the contrasting color be natural wood.
I take it back. I had forgotten about the wooden tops. Milk paint would look good.

Larry Fox
10-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Very nice - I have been contemplating a shop cab for myself but what I had in mind was nothing as good as that. Well done.

Ron Fritz
10-25-2008, 12:38 PM
If anyone is interested, the one item that I didn't mention in my initial post is that the SketchUp model of the cabinet is in my website and available for downloading. The model is made of components so that it can be 'exploded' into component view for measurement and detail analysis. Ron

John Thompson
10-25-2008, 2:44 PM
Whoa Ron.. they look like the real deal to me but... I am sort of a visulize it and put it down crudely on a note-pad using a pencil kind of guy. I am not really familar with how real those sketch-ups are. Again Whoa... as that is impressive.

I figure if I took more than fifteen minutes to get if down on a pad... I took too long. Then again my work shows of a 15 minute sketch-up. I will post a Mission coffee table I built I started on Oct. 1 Monday. I let the finish cure for two weeks which is much longer than the actual build from S-1 to dry fit of joints as I don't use any screws or metal hardware for drawers.

That sketch-up thing could be real handy but I supposed at this stage... I'm old school and set in my methods for the most part.

Good luck and can't wait to see the real deal when it comes off the assembly line.

Sarge..

Jim Becker
10-25-2008, 4:14 PM
Geepers....I completely missed the part about it being a rendering! LOL Wow...awesome job!

Jack Camillo
10-25-2008, 6:35 PM
If anyone is interested, the one item that I didn't mention in my initial post is that the SketchUp model of the cabinet is in my website and available for downloading. The model is made of components so that it can be 'exploded' into component view for measurement and detail analysis. Ron

That's good stuff, Ron, and very generous of you. Thanks for the post. It gave me a great idea for a shop solution at my place.

Greg Cole
10-25-2008, 7:13 PM
Whoa Ron.. they look like the real deal to me but... I am sort of a visulize it and put it down crudely on a note-pad using a pencil kind of guy.
That sketch-up thing could be real handy but I supposed at this stage... I'm old school and set in my methods for the most part. Sarge..
Geeze, I'm a sage 34 and I am as setg in my ways as you are Sarge......
My wife seems to think I can be grumpy enough to be at least 70....:rolleyes:
I will say I did at least know the images in the OP were renderings. We have a 3d program at work (Solid Edge IIRC), so I see this kind of drawing alot.
Greg

Ron Fritz
11-02-2008, 6:29 PM
I've made a little more progress on the cabinet over the past week. Most of the drawers are made and installed. The lower 4 drawers are attached with European Drawer Slides with 3/4 extensions. The 3 smaller drawers use a center "manual" drawer slide. The drawer faces have not been cut or installed yet. You can see the construction notes and photos for this cabinet in my website HERE (http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/Toot-Cabinet-2/CSWS-Tool-Cabinet-2.htm). Ron

Ron Fritz
11-04-2008, 9:50 AM
Here's a progress update on the cabinet. The final upper drawer and the 3 interior draws are completed. I'm now moving on to the door construction. All of the latest photos and comments are on my website HERE (http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/Toot-Cabinet-2/CSWS-Tool-Cabinet-2.htm).

John Schreiber
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
You are doing fast and fine work Ron. Keep us in the loop.

Dave Lehnert
11-04-2008, 5:46 PM
I am amazed at your design ability let alone the woodworking. Amazing work.
I have been thinking about a tool chest project but never found a set of planes I liked. When I saw your design I thought to my myself "Thats it"
Going to your page and check it out.

Thanks for your time posting.

Ron Fritz
11-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Wow! The weather here in upstate New York has been great for November. I'm torn between playing golf and spending time in the woodshop. Well, I'm glad to say that I've not only found time to play a few rounds of golf but I have also spent a few hours in the wood shop to put most of the finishing touches on the base cabinet. The base cabinet is complete except for the top. As always, the running tutorial and photos are on my web site HERE (http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/Toot-Cabinet-2/CSWS-Tool-Cabinet-2.htm). Ron

John Keeton
11-07-2008, 7:59 AM
Ron, I have enjoyed watching this project unfold. Very nicely done! I just can't believe you are going to relegate this piece to the shop - should be proudly displayed in your home for all to see. The color and grain of the wood has turned out rather pleasing - I would consider a natural or lightly stained finish.

Ron Fritz
11-07-2008, 8:46 AM
John, thanks for your comments. I was thinking about finishing it natural with just a poly finish. I also like the contrasting darker panels which should look good if left natural. Since the cabinet is going into my son's shop he told me this week that he would take over the finishing phase. Ron

Ron Fritz
11-10-2008, 9:25 AM
Over the weekend I had the chance to make the top of the cabinet and add the back panel. The base cabinet is now complete and I'm moving on to the upper cabinet. (see attached renderings of the upper cabinet) Latest photos and comments are on my website HERE (http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/Toot-Cabinet-2/CSWS-Tool-Cabinet-2.htm). Ron

Ron Fritz
11-11-2008, 4:36 PM
The upper cabinet shell is complete and now ready for drawers. (Lots of drawers!) The height and length of the drawers are all the same which will help with the cutting process. Latest photos and comments are on my website HERE (http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/). Ron

Ron Fritz
11-13-2008, 7:22 PM
Here's the latest progress on the cabinet. The drawers are made (all 11 of them) and installed with runners and guides. The drawer edges were rounded over using the router table and the drawer pulls have been added. The upper top is all that remains to be done. Ron

Jim Becker
11-13-2008, 9:29 PM
By golly, that looks just like the rendering! LOL Seriously, VERY nice work, Ron. Outstanding!

Ron Fritz
11-14-2008, 9:14 PM
It's FINISHED! Well, not exactly 'finished'. The construction is done and the cabinet is ready to be shipped to my son's house were he will take over the finishing steps. Thanks for watching as well as for your kind comments. Ron

Brian Effinger
11-14-2008, 11:13 PM
That looks great, Ron. I'm glad you posted this project. You'll have to have your son send you the 'finished' pics so you can post them here. Or just send the whole cabinet to my house & I'll finish it :p I'm right down the thru-way from you.