PDA

View Full Version : Vix bit question...

Greg McCallister
10-25-2008, 7:46 AM
This is kind of a silly question but I am looking to by a vix bit for mounting cup (euro) hinges.
What size should I get? At $10-15 a piece I would hate to get the wrong one.
Which one do you use most...

Mike Sheppard
10-25-2008, 8:07 AM
Greg
They go by screw size, Rockler has the set of three on sale now for $13.00.
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/69053-01-200.jpg
Mike

Greg McCallister
10-25-2008, 8:22 AM
I understand that (screw size)
What screw size does a euro hinge use?
Do I really need a set when I only will use one?
Its like buying one of those 50 piece router bit sets were you only use 5 or so...
I have a woodcraft less than a block away but their $12-14 a piece.
Would the one for #3 and #4 be more universal?

Mike Null
10-25-2008, 8:26 AM
As I recall Woodcraft sells euro hinges as well as vix bits. You should be able to get your answer there.

Clifford Mescher
10-25-2008, 9:05 AM
This is kind of a silly question but I am looking to by a vix bit for mounting cup (euro) hinges.
What size should I get? At $10-15 a piece I would hate to get the wrong one.
Which one do you use most...
I bought a 3-piece set in leather pouch a long time ago and have used all three many times. There have been many different sized hinges that require different sized screws. ( house door..little boxes). Clifford

Heather Thompson
10-25-2008, 9:32 AM
Greg,

I bet if you call the folks at Lee Valley they can answer that question for you, they sell the hinges and the bits.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=40239&cat=1,180,42240,53317,42265
If you have never dealt with Lee valley you would be in for a real treat.

Heather

Peter Quinn
10-25-2008, 9:56 PM
Typically euro hinges take #6 X 3/4" screws. I find the vix bits for #5-#6 and #8-#10 to be the two most used, but the most useful would be the correct size for the screws you need to drill. Beware of cheap knock offs, I have used several that are no replacement for the actual VIX brand.

Brian Ross
10-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I have a variety of Vix type bits including the set shown in the link. I am a big fan of LV but find that they have really dropped the ball with these off shore bits. The drills do not clear them selves and are a pita. The ones that I have made by Snappy and some of my original Vix bits do not have this problem and work great. I use them alot for a variety of tasks. I buy zipper screws from Hafele for Euro hinges. They are a #6 screw but have a larger head that takes a #2 robertson( square) bit which is normally used in a #8 size screw.

Brian

Jamie Buxton
10-26-2008, 12:18 AM
For whatever it is worth, I use Vix bits with conventional hinges, but not for cup hinges. Screw holes in conventional hinges are all over the place, so you can really only use each hinge as the template. However, the screw holes on cup hinges are very tightly defined, and they never vary. I use templates which locate the pilot holes for the screws, and the 35 mm hole.