PDA

View Full Version : Cutting board question

James Williams 007
10-25-2008, 3:30 AM
I want to make an end grain cutting board and then attach a handle that I will shape out of cherry. I want to make the handle so that it flows right into the cutting board. I would like to make a sliding dovetail down one side of the board and then I will form the handle so it transitions seamlessly into the cutting board. My main concern is wood movement. Since I will be joining end grain to straight grain will I run into problems? The cutting board itself will be about 6x9x1.5 and the handle will be about 8 inches (not quite sure on the dimensions until I get a feel for weight and balance). I am making it for my Grandfathers 80th because he loves to have wine and cheese and other goodies by the fire.
Any input or past experiences would help, thanks. James

John Keeton
10-25-2008, 7:13 AM
...so it transitions seamlessly into the cutting board.

I don't do cutting boards, so there should be others with more experience here. But, generally you should always be concerned about wood movement.

But your movement in this situation is probably in the same direction. The cutting board may be endgrain, but it will move laterally as will your handle. There may be a difference in movement and I think trying to have a "seamless transition" is inviting a situation.

I would design the handle such that any movement was disguised. Perhaps a mortise into the side of the cutting board, tenon on the handle, but only a couple inches? The handle could flange out, but not even with the side of the cutting board. That way any difference in movement would be less noticeable. The handle wouldn't be subject to much stress. You could even pin it through the endgrain board with a similar wood dowel and it probably wouldn't show.

Mike Null
10-25-2008, 8:31 AM
If you were making a countertop I would be concerned with wood movement but I never encountered it with cutting boards. I have some that are more than 20 years old.

If it were thin then I might be concerned but at 1 1/2" you should be ok.

Howard Acheson
10-25-2008, 2:29 PM
>> Since I will be joining end grain to straight grain will I run into problems?

Yes. You can not have a rigid joint joining end grain to long grain.