PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 Minute Dovetail.

gary Zimmel
10-25-2008, 1:08 AM
I have seen Rob C. cut a lot of dovetails.

In saying that they were always while he was teaching
or doing a demo at a show. Never had the pleasure to see how
quickly he really can do one.

Check this out this on youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxIgNel0H_I

Alan DuBoff
10-25-2008, 4:09 AM
Gary,

I use Rob's method for cutting dovetails and it works for me. However, I see some advantage in doing Frank's method also, especially for practice.

Frank's method doesn't require much in the way of layout, and as such I found it very helpful to get me completing the joints in a reasonable amount of time.

Knowing Rob's method, I could now do them quicker, but I have never tried to do one in 3 1/2 minutes, heck, I can procrastinate longer than that to get a glass of ice tea...:)

Rob makes a good point, does a fine joint, but he's hoofin' to get done in 3 1/2 minutes, but does more pins/tails, at least in how I remember Frank doing it.

C Scott McDonald
10-25-2008, 1:22 PM
Wow, his dovetail saw cut that pine like butter...sheesh

Marcus Ward
10-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Anyone have any idea what kind of saw that was? I'm droolin over here.

Gary Herrmann
10-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Any good saw will cut pine like that. You can find an old Disston backsaw, clean it up, get it sharpened and you've got that part down.

Just thinkin... it ain't just the saw though...

Marcus Ward
10-26-2008, 1:28 AM
That's true. I have an old english made dovetail saw that I sent off to be sharpened and it works great... his just seemed magical. Probably because I wasn't holding it!! :)

Robert Rozaieski
10-26-2008, 9:29 AM
Probably a LN saw. He's the Canadian distributor for LN. Might be the progressive pitch saw. While I certainly do not want to downplay this feat (I certainly couldn't cut dovetails as nice as either Rob or Frank in that amount of time :() I am sure neither of these gentlemen works like this when they build a piece of furniture. More of a competitive parlor trick between the two of them I think. But what a trick. I'd be lucky to get just the rip cuts done on half the joint in that amount of time.

Don Dorn
10-26-2008, 10:24 AM
I learned on Frank's method and have had good luck, but it's hard to argue with Rob's tails first method too. They are both masters at what they do. I have try his way of cutting with a fret saw.

As to the saw - I bought Franks video on hand tools and he demonstrates how to properly sharpen a gents saw into a dovetail saw. I tried it and it definately works, my "modified" gents saw cuts like that too.

Geoff Harris
10-27-2008, 1:27 AM
I was at our local woodshow last weekend and got to use Rob's new dovetail saw. It is his own design and is not yet in production. The saw cuts beautifully. Its got a 22 point cut for the first inch or so and then goes to a coarser cut (15 point?) for the rest of the blade. The saw starts really easy and cuts fast. Rob did not have a price for it yet, but said his intention is to provide the best saw not the best price. BTW, Rob is no longer selling LN, he's gone full time with his own business of making/selling DVDs/Books, tools and courses.

I also tried LN's variable pitch saw, I liked Robs better.

gary Zimmel
10-27-2008, 5:37 PM
Robs new saw should be available Jan 09. His website will be setup for preorders in the next few weeks.

Or just give him a call. I've got my order in already.....

Brent Smith
10-27-2008, 9:10 PM
Any word on who is making the saw?

Joe Vincent
10-27-2008, 9:36 PM
Robs new saw should be available Jan 09. His website will be setup for preorders in the next few weeks.

Or just give him a call. I've got my order in already.....

How much does one cost?

gary Zimmel
11-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I was able to sneek away to go to the Calgary woodshow
Friday and Saturday.

Spent a lot of time at Rob C's booth and gave his new saw
a good test drive.

The new saw will be marketed under the name Cosman Saw Works.
It starts like a dream having 20 tpi for the first 1 1/2".
When the saws go into production there will be 20 tpi for the first 2".
The rest of the blade is 15 tpi. Three brass rivets hold the blade to the
brass back which will be a little deeper than most saws. 3/4" is the norm
but his saw will have a back that is 7/8" that will add a little weight.

The handle is also a little thicker and will have the option of getting it
finger grips. The handles will be made out of a resin, like Corian, and be a bone or black color. Being made from a resin the handle also adds a little more weight to the saw.

After only a few test cuts the saw felt very comfortable and a dream to use.
All told I mussed around with the saw for a good hour and am very pleased with what Rob C has come up with.

As for price Rob said it will be " a little north of 200"

Marcus Ward
11-02-2008, 5:26 PM
Sneak back over and tell Rob "Corian" and "north of 200" don't go in the same sentence. :)

Seriously, I love my vintage saw but I'll buy a Wenzloff when I do finally buy a 'new' one.

Ken Werner
11-10-2008, 2:08 PM
In case anyone is interested in trying the technique of sawing out the DT waste, I have pinless scroll saw blades for sale in the classifieds here, in the 12.5 TPI and skip tooth pattern suggested in the video.