PDA

View Full Version : Convert logo to an outline

Eric Seest
10-24-2008, 11:50 PM
I am new to SMC but I have been able to get a lot of good information from everyone (thank you). My question is I have a customer that sent me a logo (shield) and wants it outlined with no color. I have been working on it but don't seem to be getting anywhere on it; any suggestions? I am still learning CorelDraw X3, so that could be some of my problem. Thanks in advance to any help you are able to give me.

Frank Corker
10-25-2008, 8:15 AM
Eric, having had a quick look at it, the problem is the orignal picture. It is a low resolution image. I'd ask your friend for a high definition scan, then import it into Corel and do a trace. This one is very dirty around the edges and won't trace well. You could redraw the whole image, but I suspect that the job won't be worth the time that it would take to do it.

Eric Seest
10-25-2008, 8:46 AM
Thanks for the information. They told me that this was the best they could find and the job is definitely is not worth the time, except for the fact that I am about size months into the business and trying to get my self established and hate to turn any jobs down. I will try to get a better picture. Once again thank you.

Frank Corker
10-25-2008, 8:57 AM
Eric, out of curiosity, how big is the piece that the engraving was intended to go on? The reason why I ask is that if the image is not large, you will be able to get away with a three quarter decent trace, if it is on something small.

Eric Seest
10-25-2008, 9:09 AM
It will be going on a flask.

Frank Corker
10-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Okay Eric, spent a lot longer on it than I anticipated but because it's your first job going out, have a look at this and see if it is what you can use. It's scaleable.

Dave Johnson29
10-25-2008, 11:16 AM
outlined with no color.

Hi Eric,

I have a rough and dirty program I wrote several years back that might solve the problem. Let me dig around on some old hard drives and get it.

Basically it uses an eye dropper to grab a color then you select a replacement color. Quick an easy. I will get back to you here.

Eric Seest
10-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Frank that is awesome, may I ask how you managed that? Thank you very much!!! I guess I still have a lot to learn about CorelDraw don't I. Once again thank you very much.

Dave any help would be appreciated.

Once again thank you very much for the help, hopefully one of these days I will be able to help out the same.

Dave Johnson29
10-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks in advance to any help you are able to give me.

The outline has a bad case of the jaggies and there are still a few color artifacts in them both, but hat may give you a start.

http://www.pndwork4u.com/stuff/eric%20shield%201.jpg (http://www.pndwork4u.com/stuff/eric%20shield%202.jpg)
http://www.pndwork4u.com/stuff/eric%20shield%202.jpg

Eric Seest
10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Dave thanks they look good and will give me a good starting point. Between what you and Frank have given me I am in better shape then I was earlier. Once again thank you guys very much. This makes me glad I joined SMC.

Frank Corker
10-25-2008, 12:12 PM
[quote=Eric Seest;953063]Frank that is awesome, may I ask how you managed that? quote]

I traced it by hand. Time consuming but we have to help you get on your feet.