PDA

View Full Version : Any negatives for using Spax screws?

Russell Tribby
10-24-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm working on replacing my Borg screw assortment with an assortment from McFeely's. I've never used any Spax screws. Are there any cons with these screws? I see that they cost a bit more. Is that the only drawback? Would I be just as well off buying an assortment of the square drive flatheads that they offer?

Jamie Buxton
10-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I've used Spax screws occasionally. Until recently, they were the only square-drive screws available locally. I haven't seen any performance advantage from them over McFeely's other screws. Given that they cost more, I'd stick with the regular kind.

Jeff Duncan
10-25-2008, 9:09 AM
The advantage of Spax screws, and what they are designed for, is being able to drive them into sheet goods without pre-drilling. For this purpose they work very effectively, and for me worth the extra money. Saves me a lot of time assembling cabinets not having to pre-drill all the holes.
Having said that I still maintain a full stock of #6, and #8 square drive screws for other tasks that may require them. If you do a variety of work, there's no way around having a variety of screws.
good luck,
JeffD

Steve Rozmiarek
10-25-2008, 9:46 AM
I'm working on replacing my Borg screw assortment with an assortment from McFeely's. I've never used any Spax screws. Are there any cons with these screws? I see that they cost a bit more. Is that the only drawback? Would I be just as well off buying an assortment of the square drive flatheads that they offer?

My local BORG sells Spax screws. They work OK, seem to be a bit better quality than the other stuff they sell.

Robert Parrish
10-25-2008, 10:23 AM
I have been using Spax screws from McFeely for several months and have had several of then break on me when driven into hardwood. They are great for plywood.

Ray Schafer
10-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I will say up front that I don't have enough experience with Spax to give much feeback on them. But here is my approach:

I have gotten a selection of screws that includes Ultimates, Spax, and Confirmat. I am using the Ultimates for no-pilot attachment of plywood. I am planning to use the Spax MDF screws (got them from Ultimate Garage) for no-pilot joints in MDF and PB. I am going to use the Confirmats for MDF cabinets where strength is an issue.

For other instances ... e.g. ataching hardwood lumber ... I will use the "normal" McFeeley screws -- using pilot holes -- that is when I use screws. I will usually use dowels, biscuits, etc.

Peter Quinn
10-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I bought some SPAX screws to test out in my shop. They are very strong, they can be driven into most hardwoods without breaking, they can even be used in concrete. Very tough screws with great holding power. I have yet to break one, and believe me I tried by running the same screw in and out of hard maple repeatedly a few dozen times.

The only negatives are the cost, which seems to be higher than most assembly type screws, and they don't start as easily as many screws with a #17 auger tip. I found them to be overkill for plywood assemblies and reserve them for rare occasions when I need a bit more umph than my assembly screws can muster.

I use the Ultimates for most uses as they are a bit cheaper and easier to start.

Brian Ross
10-25-2008, 10:53 PM
http://quickscrews.com/Screws/Type/Combo_Drive_Flat_Head_Premium_Assembly_Screws

Check around your area and see if you can find a dealer that sells Quick Screw products. I find them excellent in all applications and are designed for assembly with out predrilling especially the T17 which have a double cutter.

Good luck

Brian