PDA

View Full Version : Router bit ?

harry strasil
10-24-2008, 9:33 PM
Got a catalogue in the mail from PriceCutter.com, 70 Carbide Router bits in aa cabinet for $199 on special,

? is are they any good?

scott spencer
10-24-2008, 9:51 PM
The Price Cutter bits are actually quite good...a misnomer for sure!

Jim Becker
10-25-2008, 9:57 AM
PriceCutter is the sister to Eagle America, if I'm not mistaken. Same cutter designs; different sourcing to make for the value price.

The one issue with sets, Harry, is that there may very well be a lot of profiles you'll never use. On the other hand, it gives you a lot of profiles for occasional use that you might not want to pay top money for. If you fine there are a few that you consistently use a lot, then when they wear, you replace those specific profiles with better quality tooling. (The same can be said for Forstner bits, for example)

Jason Perrott
10-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Harry,
I own that set, they are great bits! I have used many of the profiles that I initially thought would be useless. If you look closely at what is listed, there are not alot of "dogs" in the set. Even comes with a full assortment of dovetail bits, undersized plywood set, ect.

I have made multiple purchases from this company and have received excellent service. For $199, its a no brainer( I might pick up another :D)

Jason

glenn bradley
10-25-2008, 10:59 AM
They are obviously not Whitesides for that price but, I have used similar bits with success. Folks do things differently but I found that I came out ahead buying specific bits as I needed them rather than a set where half the bits would never see use. As usual, I didn't figure this out myself, SMC members helped guide me. Thanks gang.

Bill White
10-25-2008, 1:02 PM
Got a catalogue in the mail from PriceCutter.com, 70 Carbide Router bits in aa cabinet for $199 on special,

? is are they any good?

Buy the needed bits, not the sets. The Price Cutters I have proved to be a value.
Bill