PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly tenon jig vs all the others?

Robert foster
10-24-2008, 8:16 PM
What makes the Grizzly tenon jig so much less expensive than most all the other brands? I see that the Griz is 59.00 and most of the other brands are 119.99. Do they do that much better job? Are they easier to use? WHAT?

Bob

Daniel Hillmer
10-24-2008, 8:18 PM
HA!!!

I was going to ask this very question yesterday - I will be watching this thread.

Jim Butterfield
10-24-2008, 8:43 PM
I'm happy with mine. This has come up on the forums before. Check out:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74503&highlight=grizzly+tenoning

and

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77341&highlight=grizzly+tenoning

(I hope they show up as links; if not, do a search on the forums for "grizzly tenoning jig).

glenn bradley
10-24-2008, 8:59 PM
My "Rockler" tenoning Jig came with Jet documentation and looks like the Powermatic, Grizzly and Woodcraft jigs I've seen. I notice Jet now has a Supersaw version that is a bit different. Mine was around $50 on sale and $60 regularly IIRC. Very happy with it.

Bob Genovesi
10-24-2008, 9:04 PM
The other manufactures are just a lot more greedy.....:mad:

Think about it; look at what actually makes up the tenoning jig, now combine this with its manufacture in a low cost country and actual cost is somewhere around $12.00.

Then again it could be the color of the paint.......:eek:

glenn bradley
10-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Then again it could be the color of the paint.......:eek:

Or the cost to get it over here :D:D:D Nah, I'm goin' with the paint :p.

Rick Moyer
10-25-2008, 9:57 AM
One of the WW mags did an article on these some time back. IIRC they said there was very minimal diff between all of them and the Grizzly was therefore the best value.

John Thompson
10-25-2008, 10:23 AM
I've looked at about 5 different ones at this point comparing when I was in the market a while back. Just get the cheapest as you can pay one vendor more for the same jig in this particular case. I highly suspect the casting for all the various ones out there are coming from the same source. Grizzly can sell cheaper as they can afford to purchase in larger quantities.

Sarge..

Dewey Torres
10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I have the Griz and I can assure you, the thing is built well. It is massive, heavy, and machined about as good as I have seen with other brands. I have no doubt that if you get one you will certainly be happy with it.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I have been in one Rockler Store and it was in Arlington, TX while I was there for two weeks this past June.

I bought the Rockler version for about $60-70 IIRC and had it shipped to my home in Idaho.

I was able to compare it to a Jet right in that store.

There was no significant difference.

I suspect Grizzley buys in larger quantities and therefore can afford to sell them cheaper.

Bill White
10-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I WANT ONE!!!! Can't decide whether to get the thru-dovetail template for my PC jig or the tennon jig.
Bill

Matthew Hills
10-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I haven't ever used one of these. Are they just to cut the tenon cheeks?
If so, what is the advantage over the typical plywood tenoning jig?

e.g.,
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/content/binary/WEB_IMG_8994.jpg

My initial guesses:
- integral clamp (a bit more work to figure out clamping strategy on home-built jig)
- angled tenons? (the typical home-built variety wouldn' do these)