PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Laural- How to finish?

Mike Peace
10-24-2008, 5:05 PM
I turned a 7" bowl from green camphor laurel with thin walls. Not sure how to finish it. I usually use Danish oil and then beall buff but this wood has so much natural oil in it I was wondering if I should skip the DO? It turned beautifully and I am able to get a much smoother finish with sanding on the lathe than I usually get with green wood.

Anyone with experience with Camphor laurel? Will it change shape much as it drys? I am thinking I will not have to worry much about cracking since it has so much natural oil but maybe that is wishful thinking.

Should I let it dry a while off the lathe and do some hand sanding with finer grits? I stopped at 240 and it is still on the lathe.

robert hainstock
10-24-2008, 5:16 PM
you might try BRIWAX Teak oil, and give it a good scrub down with acetone before applying. Good luck, and where's the pictures.:):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I have scrubbed down oily pieces of wood with acetone then applied Antique Oil with no problems so far.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Why take away the oil to then add oil ??
As for drying, do you need to take chances for some reason ??, or can you play it safe and give it time to dry with less chances for it splitting, ??
I know what I would do with a nice piece, but it's your choice.

Bill Mitchel
10-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I just started and Mikes question brings up another. Do you guys and gals use Danish Oil and then Beal Buff on most of you turnings? On the few I have done, I have just beal buffed. The woods I mostly use are Cherry, Maple, Walnut. Does the DO bring out the finish? What are your favorite ways to finish a project?

Thanks
Bill

robert hainstock
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Why take away the oil to then add oil ??
As for drying, do you need to take chances for some reason ??, or can you play it safe and give it time to dry with less chances for it splitting, ??
I know what I would do with a nice piece, but it's your choice.
I guess Leo, because the oil in the wood will soften any finish, turn it milky, and bland. Teak oil is formulated to stop, or at least slow down the wood's oil from doing that. While there may be another product out there that is not an oil that can do what Teak oil does, I do not know what it is?