PDA

View Full Version : What type of adhesive???

Patrick Licata
10-24-2008, 4:24 PM
Hi all,
Can anyone give me an idea as to what glue or adhesive I can use to put 2 pieces of crystal together that dries clear????
Thanks

Scott Challoner
10-24-2008, 4:53 PM
No personal experience, but Weldbond dries clear and can be used on glass. You can usually find it at Ace Hardware stores.

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2008, 5:00 PM
I have used this one and I think they have it at the borgs.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=17&subid=39&plid=208

Mike Null
10-25-2008, 8:10 AM
The adhesive you want is a UV curable adhesive which must be cured with a UV light.

None of this is inexpensive but it is rather easy to use.

Richard Rumancik
10-27-2008, 7:57 PM
Mike is correct; the best is a UV adhesive. I would try the Loctite products as there are more distributors around. You might even find a local rep who will demo for you and find the best option. It would be good if you can find some "scrap" materials to experiment with (chipped, scratched). Then you can even test the bonds (but carefully).

You will also need to find a UV light source. There can be expensive too but you might be able to find a deal on eBay.

Tom Bull
10-27-2008, 9:44 PM
The adhesive has to be not exposed to air and at the same time exposed to UV. Sunlight works, but is not reliably available, at least not in MO. The UV has to be the right wave length. If you have a relationship with a glass company (such as shower door installer) that buys from CR Laurence they could order it for you. It is not cheap, but the bond is nothing short of incredible. You could also try windshield mirror adhesive. It is 2 part, available at auto stores, very strong, but check for the clearness before you use it.