PDA

View Full Version : Deer camp "Party Favors" revisited. Need ideas!

Royce Meritt
10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone. For the past several years I have made what my wife refers to as "deer camp party favors" for my 2 deer hunting buddies.

In the past I have made:

Walking sticks (sort of an inside joke, don't use them too much during the hunt)
Wooden mugs (these get a lot of use back in camp after the day's hunt)
"Bullet" pens (.308 cal. lower barrels & antler top barrels)
Deer grunt calls (these actually work pretty well)
Wood handles 6 way screwdrivers (the handles are made from Oak found on the farm where we hunt)

This year I am fresh out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas? These can be useful and practical items (like the calls & screwdrivers), not so practical but no less useful (like the mugs) or anything in between.

Deer season opens in 3 weeks so I need to get started on this year's projects.

I am open to any suggestions as long as some or all of the item is made of wood (turned or flat). Thanks!

(This is cross posted here in the General Woodworking forum with Moderator permission to insure "flat work" ideas are passed on to the OP)

Jacob Reverb
10-24-2008, 4:54 PM
How about some shooting sticks? Don't know whether you're familiar with them, but these are sticks a rifle shooter would use as a rest to steady his rifle when shooting offhand in open country. Google might turn up some examples. You might be able to use some kind of cheap dowel or fiberglass for the bulk of the stick, then turn some nice "handles" for the ends...

Gary Breckenridge
10-24-2008, 5:14 PM
Slingshots

Jacob Reverb
10-24-2008, 5:40 PM
Atlatls! (There's actually a special deer season (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0124_060124_atlatl_deer.html) for these in Pennsylvania!) :cool:

Gary Click
10-24-2008, 5:46 PM
If'n it wuz fishin, you'al cud mak a rack to holt yer Dynimite!!

Tyler Howell
10-25-2008, 4:02 PM
Hey,
When are you and the bride going to make it up thyis way??

Royce Meritt
10-27-2008, 9:10 AM
Hey,
When are you and the bride going to make it up thyis way??

Hey Tyler! I bet its getting COLD up there this time of year. Probably have to wait until spring for a visit.