PDA

View Full Version : Darn it anyway!! it WAS going to be a vessel

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-24-2008, 4:13 PM
:mad: Had a big Whoops today!:mad:
This started out fine,just didn't end that way. It was going to be a 15" tall hard maple. I even got away from the straight sides I've been turning too.

Dan Oliphant
10-24-2008, 4:28 PM
Joe, think of it as an opportunity to imbelish the lower portion!!! Using the original bottom portion as a template, turn a new botton section from a contrasting wood and glue it on. You can rotate the top portion around, use a jam chuck to hold it in place to allow for truing up the mating surface. It may very well turn out to be a great piece.

Brian Brown
10-24-2008, 5:04 PM
What dan said. This is very fixable. Look forward to seeing it after it's done.

robert hainstock
10-24-2008, 5:22 PM
Most of my funnels become pedestal mounted vases. You can save it as Dan instructed you too. yoy have nice form there, too nice to scrap.
Bob:eek::):)

Tony Wheeler
10-24-2008, 5:28 PM
looks like my hollow attemps of this sort of vessel sorry for your bad luck I'm working on building a laser

Michael Arruda
10-24-2008, 5:35 PM
I don't see a broken urn, I see a glue up opportunity and a nice little candy dish.

-Michael

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2008, 6:01 PM
Very nice vase Joe! What a great opportunity for a design change! Dan had a great idea and would be a way to save the vase. OR, you could turn a small ring out of a darker wood, glue to bottom of vase, then true up and glue the original foot to the ring. Could also turn a small lid or finial out of the same color as the ring just to tie the whole thing together.

Whatever you decide - have fun with it! It can be saved because it didn't explode into a million pieces! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Jim Becker
10-24-2008, 6:06 PM
It still IS a vessel! Just one that's easy to empty. :D

Stuff happens. To fix that one, consider turning a plug that will fit into the bottom.

Richard Madison
10-24-2008, 8:34 PM
Joe,
In the interest of education of your fellow turners, would you share with us exactly what caused the design of your vessel to change so radically and unexpectedly?

Robert McGowen
10-24-2008, 9:05 PM
Joe,
In the interest of education of your fellow turners, would you share with us exactly what caused the design of your vessel to change so radically and unexpectedly?

I'm guessing a wall thickness varying between 1/4" and zero? :D:D:D

Richard Madison
10-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Looks that way Robert, but might have been something else that we (I) need to learn about.

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Joe looks like it is time to make a bottom glue up and finish turning.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi Joe, oh drat :eek:
When I saw the picture my first thought was a contrasting ring placed in there, you could even add the same to the top edge to balance it, or yes you could also make a whole new foot I suppose, anyway it can be rescued quite easily IMO, have fun and take care :).

Bill Bolen
10-25-2008, 12:19 AM
I've had my heart broken the same way 4 or 5 times. After a few days of disgust I think you will find a way to save this. Just too pretty to burn!...Bill...

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-26-2008, 10:05 AM
:o Thanks for your comments everyone.
However around here Wood grows on Trees, so I think I'll just toss it and move on to the next one. (when i have time!)

Jeff Nicol
10-26-2008, 3:34 PM
Just a little glue and love and it will be that beautiful vessel you hoped it would be!

Probably not the first time and most likely not the last time this will happen!! As it says below TURN TURN TURN!

Jeff

Keith Christopher
10-26-2008, 7:38 PM
I'd put a contrasting piece on the bottom and turn it ! It's an opportunity not a ruined piece !