PDA

View Full Version : Polishing with a Rotex 150

Andy Pratt
10-24-2008, 1:47 PM
I've done a search, but couldn't find anything about what Rotex 150 owners are using to use the 150 as a wood polisher.

I recently bought one used, and I'm considering using it for furniture polishing. I saw one decent webpage at workshopdemos, but I'm still in the dark as to exactly what accessories to buy.

I would be using it for waxing after oil finishes primarily, but would like to buy accessories that would allow me to do a wide variety of polishing in the future, possibly for other materials (cars) as well.

What specifically should I buy for this stuff

Seems like you have to buy the Festool 6" FastFix polishing pad to attach the other sanding things to, is this correct?

After that, I've got options for hard/soft sponges, hard/soft pads and the sheepskin thing. I'd like to keep it simple, with no more than 3 different things to keep in stock, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Andy

Jim Becker
10-24-2008, 2:42 PM
The Festool polishing "kit" would be my choice...and is actually on my list for acquisition at some point. There actually was some discussion on this earlier today in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55808

SMC member Bob Marino, who is also a great Festool rep, can answer your pointed questions in addition to any commentary you get here.

Michael Sobik
10-24-2008, 5:08 PM
I use the FastFix polishing pad and couple soft polishing felt pads to buff out finishes. I use an automotive polishing compound on the felt pads. I'm not sure what you'd use for wax.

For the car, you'd probably want the fine polishing sponges and whatever polishing compound you use on your car.

Andy Pratt
10-25-2008, 2:03 AM
Mike, thanks for the tips. You're using this for wood finishes right? If I can get away with just having the soft felt pads that lines up with exactly what I want (less storage/cost) so hopefully I can just do that. What sort of compound do you use?

Just got done applying wax to a ton of casework & doors today, wish I had the system already. I let one piece overdry on the wax and it took forever to buff out, sure the polisher would have worked great there.

Andy

Andy Pratt
10-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Ended up comparing things and ordering some 6" bosch hook&loop pads (soft felt, lambswool) off amazon. I'll try them out and let you guys know how it works.