PDA

View Full Version : Old Projects: Music Bookshelf

Anthony Watson
10-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Not the fanciest bookshelf, but a bit of history with this one... When we built our house back in 2003/2004, I dismantled the old redwood deck we had on our old mobile home. A year later I used some of the old redwood deck boards to build this little bookshelf. It was my first project using recycled wood, and after 13 years as a deck, it's nice to see it reborn as a useful piece of furniture.

No stain, just three coats of oil based gloss polyurethane on the bare wood.

Wallis Hampson
10-27-2008, 5:09 PM
Very Nice !! What a great use of wood that was destined for the dump. Its cool to have something like that which reminds you of something else.

Anthony Watson
10-28-2008, 9:19 AM
Wallis,

Thanks! Unfortunately, after 13 years outside in the elements, a lot of the redwood had started to rot, and at least half of the remaining wood split or was otherwise damaged when we dismantled the deck. So, I wasn't able to recycle as much as I had hoped.

Still, the darker heartwood was in good shape, and I used that to build this little shelf and a few smaller projects. I used a couple of the smaller scraps to build some quarter circle corner shelves for our master shower. Four coats of spar urethane and they've held up nicely in our shower for over four years now.

Any wood that was too far gone to build projects with, provided heat for the winter in our woodstove. Nothing went to waste... :)

Anthony

Lon LeBlanc
10-30-2008, 6:46 PM
It was my first project using recycled wood, and after 13 years as a deck, it's nice to see it reborn as a useful piece of furniture.

Anthony,

I really like the challenge of taking scraps of wood and turning them into something useful. I'm blessed by having a friend at a local cabinet shop, and I get bits of Walnut, Oak, Maple, as well as excellent cabinet ply pieces and plenty of coated 3/16" hardboard. So, I really appreciate your quest for turning old wood into something useful. Nice job!

Lon