PDA

View Full Version : Spalting Wood

Radek Kowalski
10-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I had read up on spalting wood on the internet for a bit and I know I want to try it with this birch I just got. It was cut down last weekend, 10-15-08 or so. I turned it into round cylinders so it would dry faster. First of all, was turning the logs into cylinders a bad idea? Am I better off trying to spalt now, or wait till the spring and spalt then in the proper temperate? I am thinking of doing saw dust, leaves and water. How long do I need to wait once everything is bagged up, weeks, months or years?

Thanks alot.

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Radek - how long it takes for wood to spalt has a lot to do with where you are located because of temperatures and humidity levels. Basically all you are doing is slowing down the drying process and allowing the wood to mold and start to decay. I leave my wood in log form - with the bark still on and seal the ends with anchorseal. I store the logs in back of my shed - out of direct sunlight. During the summer months it takes a couple of months for the wood to spalt. You can tell by looking at the ends of the log as it will be covered in mold under the anchorseal.

After that it is just a guessing game as to when to cut the wood up. Cut it up to soon and there is minimal spalting. Cut it up to late and the wood is so punky you can't turn it without hardening the wood first. It is a guessing game but when the spalting has really taken hold you get to turn some of the most amazing wood!

Also - please remember that spalted wood can be very hazardous to breathe when turning! You don't want to inhale the mold spores - so - be sure to wear proper breathing protection! I'm not kidding - this stuff can cause major health problems!

Prashun Patel
10-24-2008, 1:30 PM
Check out the FWW article from the Aug '08 issue. It's got an article on how to spalt yr own wood.

Larry Gottlieb
10-24-2008, 4:27 PM
Steve,

The warning about the danger of the mold spores is commonly repeated.
Do you know of anyone who has become ill from inhaling these spores?

We contact spores everytime we mow our lawn or work with soil.

The molds and fungi that cause human disease are quite specific.

I am not aware of any disease caused by the molds in spalted wood.

Thank you

Larry Gottlieb MD.

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2008, 5:47 PM
Larry,

You are the MD and therefore have more knowledge on this subject than I do. I have been working with spalted woods for 4 years now and have read multiple times about the hazards of spalted woods and the problems they could cause. I pass on the info that I have read if I believe a member is new to turning and has not yet been exposed to what is or is not hazardous when it comes to wood.

Larry, I was basing my statements on this information:

http://www.woodturninglearn.net/articles/spaltedwood.htm
This is an article by Alan Lacer entitled ‘Spalted Wood’ in which he states:

“Working spalted wood safely
There is anecdotal and some medical evidence substances from wing wood are a health threat. Allergic reactions and some serious lung diseases have been traced to spores and fungi that inhabit rotting wood. The effects on an individual woodworker depends his or her tolerance to the spores and fungi, the concentration of in the environment and the length of exposure. Persons with weakened immune systems, lung illnesses who show signs of allergic reactions to the spalted wood should avoid the material altogether. One must err on the side of caution when working spalted wood. Freshly sawn green material with active spores and fungi, of even air dried material, is potentially hazardous. Kiln drying, by turning up the heat and moisture, will actually kill bath fungi and spores.
To avoid breathing spalted wood dust, I strongly recommend that you wear a respirator not a nuisance mask and have an effective point of origin dust collection system or a self con air filtration helmet. Avoid prolonged contact with your skin, and clean your work area thoroughly, following any work with spalted wood.”

The following is from the US Government on producing spalted wood:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/producing-spalted-wood.pdf
“Caution
Although the white rot fungi responsible for the decorative appearance are not pathogenic (a health problem), there might be some molds associated with the spalting process that could cause allergies in people. It is also possible that some pathogenic molds, such as Aspergillus fumigates (responsible for ‘farmers lung”), might be present, so it is always a good idea to work in well-ventilated areas.”

The Australian Government produced a paper on the toxicity of various woods:
http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/ohs/files/links/ts05c.pdf
“Spalted woods are those which show black lines or grains within the timber – it can be regarded as a mould or fungal environment and, as such, can cause serious health problems. ‘Bag-seasoned’ woods, (eg. Unfinished turning projects stored in plastic bags), may also generate a spore environment.
Such environmental factors may promote sensitization and employees should therefore be alert for students who exhibit resultant allergic reactions.”

Larry Gottlieb
10-24-2008, 6:26 PM
Steve,

I do agree that no one will be injured by wearing a protective mask and like chicken soup it may not help, but won't hurt.

My point is that, as you cite, there are many theoretical statements about the possible danger from spalted wood, but I have never seen a report of definite human disease caused by exposure to the organisms responsible for the spalting. I also recognize that I have not seen everything.

We all know about many instances of sensitivity to some woods causing skin and pulmonary symptoms. However this has not been proven with spalted wood.

So we can keep wearing masks and respirators and drinking chicken soup during breaks.

Larry

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2008, 6:51 PM
Larry,

I have to admit that you have made me take a step back and rethink all that I have been reading about the dangers of spalted woods. I personally do not know of a single person who has suffered from working with spalted wood, most of which is due to my location and the limited numbers of turners here - but - logically, to me, if you breathe in active mold spores you are going to have problems!

I will do some more reading. I do appreciate your input as education is a good thing!

Stan Cook
10-24-2008, 7:13 PM
The spores in spalted wood may or may not be harmful. However, repeated exposure to elevated levels of dust of any kind WILL cause problems in the respiratory system. So that mask IS a good idea.

Jeff Nicol
10-26-2008, 3:52 PM
I am probably the worst when it comes to doing the right thing when turning all wood! I try to wear a dust mask when I am sanding and use my dust collection system also. But I get lazy and in a hurry sometimes and just suck up the dust! So far for me black walnut dust burns my nose and throat so I always use the dust protection then. I am getting better but so far no extra trouble with spalted wood.

But always think safety first!

Jeff