PDA

View Full Version : Back from a 4 week trip and no turning

Leo Van Der Loo
10-24-2008, 3:01 AM
But I had turned a few pieces before I left, so here's the pic's.
Rock Elm turned wet, finished with Tung oil and buffed, 11" X 3"

Nathan Hawkes
10-24-2008, 6:54 AM
Boy, that wood has some wild grain going on there. It almost looks like it has different layers--some with "normal" grain direction, and some that are flowing around it. Nice form as well. Keep up the good work. I'd missed seeing your pieces!

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2008, 8:31 AM
Welcome back Leo! Hope you had a good trip!

Nice looking bowl! Great job on the thickness! Beautiful wood and finish!

Hope you are able to get back out into the shop real soon and start turning again! Like a lot of other folks - I have missed your work!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2008, 8:35 AM
Glad you're back Leo! Always miss your posts.

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2008, 9:53 AM
Good to see you back Leo. Great looking bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi Nathan, and thanks, I had my eyes on that tree for a few years already, as it looked in bad health, problem was it grew 350 miles away from me, (close to my youngest sons place), so I asked my son to keep and eye on it and if it was cut down to make sure to ask for some of the wood.
Anyway, long story short, it got to my sons place and I cut it up, when the tree was still standing it looked like there was a lot of curl and maybe burl in it, well I tell you it looked like that tree had seen a couple of wars and lost every one of them :eek: :eek: :mad:, it was split all over and full of carpenter ants, some of the splits I could date back to about 60 years ago and some more recently, as this was a bigger tree (30"D) I had hoped to make some larger pieces from it, well I have just one thats maybe 17"-18" and a couple smaller ones in the 10 to 12" range, and a lot of smaller pieces and an awful lot of split and chewed up fire wood.
But the good pieces are beautiful wood, though I doubt that I would have started on it had I known how bad the log was.
The log was frozen when I hauled it home last holiday season, and I saw a lot of ants and eggs, none of the ants were moving, even after a 6 hour drive in a warm truck, but they sure revived after a week or so in my shop :eek:, you should have seen me dancing the trample 'm all quickstep :D :D.

Bernie, Ken and Steve, thanks for the reply, have fun and take care :)

And yes it's nice to get back into the shop and whirl some wood :D.

Had to take care of some Cherry I received while away, cut it up and rough turned it, nice Cherry, we'll see how it is when dry.

Grant Wilkinson
10-25-2008, 3:34 PM
The rock elm piece is beautiful, Leo. I love the lines.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-25-2008, 4:27 PM
Thank you Grant, appreciate your reply .