PDA

View Full Version : Question on Installation of Blumotion slides

Craig D Peltier
10-23-2008, 9:20 PM
My questions is:

Do you have to have some support under the slides when there mounted on a cabinet i.e. a shelve. Or can thye just hang from the sides and there strong enough to hold kitchen draws like that?

Why I am asking is because Im rebuilding my kitchen cabinets, some get new boxes some dont. Either way the old slides in the draws are atached to the face frame on the sides and the back of slides attach to a bracket on back of cabinet. So the draws are free floating meaning theres no support under them, the slides just mount on the side of cab.

I have never installed undermount slides but I guess its not that hard.

My LOML wants blumotion of course. Im adding them to the cab doors as well.

Thanks

Jim Becker
10-23-2008, 9:30 PM
Craig, the answer to your question is relative to the specific slides you use, but mounting front to back or directly to the side, when that method is allowed, do not require any support under them. They are quite strong and will hold a drawer up to the stated weight limit of the slides if they are mounted to specification. You can usually download a PDF document of the specifications for just about any name-brand slide and many "house brand" slides, too.

Blumotion is really nice...I first got to experience it with the Ikea cabinets I put in our new laundry room and promptly bought the Blumotion add-ons for all the Euro-hinges used in the cabinetry that came out of my shop.

David DeCristoforo
10-23-2008, 9:34 PM
The main thing is to download the specs from Blum and follow them exactly. They are pretty easy to install if your drawer boxes are built to spec. If not, they will drive you up the wall.

Charlie Plesums
10-23-2008, 11:50 PM
In my opinion, the hard part is measuring the drawers from the inside rather than the outside. The reference point is the inside edge of the drawer, and the thickness doesn't matter over a very wide range (typically any thickness up to 5/8 inch).

We are so used to measuring from the outside of the drawers that the instructions contain tables for the width of the drawer for all the different thicknesses of the wood. If you measure from the inside of the drawer, you can throw away the confusing 80% of the directions.

Craig D Peltier
10-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks, I guess its time to learn. I have never installed undermount slides.

So how does thickness of sides affect slides? I do see they come in different styles because of this. Id be using the blums off of woodwrokers hardware site.

Jamie Buxton
10-24-2008, 10:57 AM
..So how does thickness of sides affect slides? ...

Like Charlie said, the thickness of the sides doesn't matter much. The slides wrap around the sides, so the important dimension is the distance between the inside faces of the drawers.

I use the version intended for 5/8" thick. If you buy 4/4, even milled to 13/16", you're sure to be able to get 5/8" from it.

Ed Labadie
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Get the full extension model slides. The only way to go.

Ed

Peter Luch
10-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I also just installed some of these for the first time.

Follow the instructions EXACTLY and they fit in perfect, work soooooo nice!

I mounted the slides on the sides of the cabinets but they also have a rear hanging clip so they will mount on the side of the face frame and to the clip mounted on the back of the cabinet.
Doing it this way you will need to make sure the depth of the cabinet is withing the specs for the leangth of slide your getting.

Good luck!

Aloha, Pete