PDA

View Full Version : My 3rd Vessel (Critique Please)

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-23-2008, 9:20 PM
Here's my 3rd completed vessel. I have roughed out about 20 or so but this is just my 3rd completed & finished one.
It's 6 1/2" tall & 4 1/4" dia. with aprox 1/8" thick walls. Hard Maple.
Tell me what ya think. Go ahead & be Honest even if it's Brutal!!

Thomas Canfield
10-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Joe,

That looks great for a 300th, and excellent for a 3rd. Are you "mass" producing or going with different shapes. The top diameter would seem a little large compared to the base diameter for stability if used for displaying taller objects, but I like it. The dark rim and color variation down also seem to work well. Let us see what you do with the other 17 or so.

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Joe - I like the defined rim! There is not a lot of grain on this one that jumps out at a person - so the form is just that much more noticeable. First thing I do notice is that the foot is slightly smaller than HF#2, the walls are tapered slightly more and the neck is a little shorter. No big deal - just things that I noticed.

I do like the burned rim as it creates a boundary between inside/outside of the piece. Nice effect.

Your finish looks great and your photos are crisp and allow us to see the details of the piece.

Nice work Joe! Looking forward to seeing HF#4!

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Great looking HF. I like the rim, form and finish. Looking forward to #4.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-24-2008, 8:10 AM
Joe - I like the defined rim! There is not a lot of grain on this one that jumps out at a person - so the form is just that much more noticeable. First thing I do notice is that the foot is slightly smaller than HF#2, the walls are tapered slightly more and the neck is a little shorter. No big deal - just things that I noticed.

I do like the burned rim as it creates a boundary between inside/outside of the piece. Nice effect.

Your finish looks great and your photos are crisp and allow us to see the details of the piece.

Nice work Joe! Looking forward to seeing HF#4!
Steve. Thanks for looking & comparing it to my # 2 vessel.
Your exactly right ! The foot is smaller at about 1 1/2 " dia. (a little to small I'll agree). The taper is sharper, again maybe to sharp. Also the neck is shorter however I think I have a better flow from sholder to the rim on this one. This was what I was shooting for on this one. I think the neck was a little to long and a little flat on my # 2 vessel

Don Eddard
10-24-2008, 8:22 AM
I sure don't see much to complain about on this one. Personally, I like the proportions. Great job all around. It may just be the pics playing tricks on me, but if I was being ultra nitpicky, I'd point out what looks like an extremely slight concavity to the lower form of the vessel, about 1/5 of the way up from the bottom. If it's intentional, I think it could be slightly more pronounced, more of a wasp waist. If it's not intentional, then I think it would look better either dead straight or very slightly convex. Like I said, great job, especially for a third piece.

Jim Becker
10-24-2008, 8:33 AM
No brutality necessary, as this is a fine effort. The only critique I can give is that the profile of the vessel sides below the break is somewhat straight. It would be a more graceful form with a continuous curve. Keep 'em coming!

Tony Wheeler
10-24-2008, 5:37 PM
I like it the way it is and its not like mine where the inside is larger than the outside good job

Richard Madison
10-24-2008, 8:45 PM
Joe,
Maybe a smaller neck diameter would be good. What strikes me is that the finish looks great, as if it were (or maybe is) a completely filled and leveled, glassy surface. Would be interested to know how you did the finiah.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-24-2008, 9:03 PM
Joe,
Maybe a smaller neck diameter would be good. What strikes me is that the finish looks great, as if it were (or maybe is) a completely filled and leveled, glassy surface. Would be interested to know how you did the finiah.
Thanks Richard.
As for the finish it is Glass smooth with lots of depth. There is 10 coats of gloss varnish on it.Sanded between eah coat. (makes them hard to photo too)

Jon Lanier
10-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Joe,

I think that a vase/vessel can just about have any size differential top to bottom. But you need to have it curve to each point. There is a straight line from the top turn to base which gives it an awkward look.

Now the rim looks great and the smoothness and finish are fantastic. We just need a little more 'curve.'

-Jon

Richard Madison
10-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks Joe. I thought it was that good. Used to do that years ago with polyurethane varnish, and/but takes a long time and is a lot of work. What kind of varnish are you using? Maybe I will try it again. Some people will complain that it is a "plastic" look, but I disagree.