PDA

View Full Version : Small Dining Table

Anthony Watson
10-23-2008, 8:24 PM
After some of the impressive projects I've seen here, I'm almost embarrassed to show this off. But, we all start somewhere, right...

My in-laws have a 100 year old house with a very tiny kitchen (8'x12'), that shares space with a dining table on one side. Recently their refrigerator died and we had to get them a new one. Of course, the new fridge is larger, and the doors won't open fully without hitting their current dining table. So, I got this bright idea to build them a smaller table, despite never having built a table before.

We originally planned a 48"x30" table, but my largest clamps will only span 42". So, with a 1.5" overhang on each end, I shrunk the table to 45"x30". If anything, it'll just give my in-laws a bit more room in the kitchen.

This was my first time to build a project with red oak, my first time to make mortise and tenon joints, and the first project I didn't nail together with my nail gun. :)

I used a forstner bit in my drill press to make the mortises, and made the tenons by "nibbling" away wood on my table saw. I made numerous test mortises and tenons on scraps and everything seemed to be dialed in perfectly, but naturally when I cut the final tenons they ended up too loose. Figures... So, I had to glue some thin wood strips to the tenons and remill. A bit of extra work, but it turned out OK in the end.

I don't know if they were needed, but I added diagonal corner braces underneath and fastened them in place with pocket screws. If nothing else, it helped to square up the frame while I worked to attach the top. I used metal "Z" table fasteners in a groove around the aprons to attach the table top.

I used a Varathane "Light Walnut" stain and Minwax oil based glossy polyurethane. Again, I made many samples using a variety of stains I had on hand, but the final piece turned out darker than my samples. Figures... But, my wife think's it's beautiful, and that's what really matters to me. :) Having never worked with red oak, I figured enough coats of poly would fill in the grain on the table top. I was wrong. Six coats on the top, and the grain is still quite visible. Live and learn. I ordered some grain filler from Woodcraft, since I couldn't find any locally, but I needed to finish the table by this weekend. Naturally, the grain filler showed up yesterday, the same day I finished the table. :)

I've been trying to sign my projects over the last few years, but since I have horrible handwriting, I decided to try something new this time. I printed a label on my laser printer (regular copy paper), cut it out, and laminated it into the finish on the backside of one of the table aprons. I just applied a coat of poly, pressed the paper into it, and brushed another coat of poly on top. I applied two more coats over that when it was dry. I tested the idea on scraps first and found I preferred the reverse printout as shown, rather than black text on a white piece of paper. It works great as long as you don't try sanding the finish over the label. I like to think the table will be passed down through the family and someday someone will say "your grandpa Watson built that table". Then again, it might sell for $5 at a garage sale next year. :)

Jim Becker
10-23-2008, 9:08 PM
I don't think you have any "garage sale risk" in that table. Nice work! And a great solution, too.

Nancy Laird
10-23-2008, 9:11 PM
Reallly nice table, Anthony. I like it! And I like everything made of red oak!!

Ray Schafer
10-23-2008, 9:12 PM
I think it is really great! Great job!

Lucas Bittick
10-23-2008, 9:18 PM
I appreciate your attention to detail in the top panel glue-up. The grain pattern looks great, and it is obvious that you took some time selecting the boards and coordinating the grain direction. A very fine gift!

Ray Schafer
10-23-2008, 9:27 PM
You gave me an idea. I may have a bunch of metal labels created to glue on my pieces that say "Created by .... "

Nancy Laird
10-23-2008, 9:52 PM
Or you could have lasered ones, Ray. They're cheaper than the metal ones!!

Mike McCann
10-23-2008, 9:59 PM
Anthony

great looking table. How many layers of poly did you use to finally fillthe grain?

Anthony Watson
10-24-2008, 9:08 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

How many layers of poly did you use to finally fill the grain?

I never did. I put six coats on the top and the grain still shows and feels very apparent. I wasn't noticing any difference with more coats, so I stopped at six so I could let the table dry a few days before we deliver it this weekend. In any case, it still looks nice, and I've learned for next time...

I may have a bunch of metal labels created to glue on my pieces that say "Created by .... "

The advantage of the paper laser printout is it can be customized on the spot. I can include my name, the date I built the project, who it was made for, and even the stains and finishes I used if I wish. The latter is often helpful when I want to add a shelf or something years later and am trying to match things up.

I usually put the signature in a hidden spot anyway, so it won't normally be seen by most folks.

Take care,

Anthony

John Thompson
10-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Excellent work with the red oak, Anthony. Very clean lines.

Sarge..

Brent Ring
10-24-2008, 10:58 AM
I was really impressed. Sometime the most simple pieces are spectacular in their simplicity

Anthony Watson
10-25-2008, 9:21 PM
OK, I should have seen it coming... :)

We delivered the table today, and the in-laws were thrilled. But now my wife insists we need to build chairs to match. :)

I have never built a chair before, in fact this was my first table. So, does anyone have any suggestions for chair designs that would go well with this table? I don't have a lathe, and limited woodworking skills, so it would need standard squarish legs like I made for the table. I'm sure I'd need to cut the back legs with a bend so the back angles a bit.

Links and/or pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Craig Hemsath
10-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I was really impressed. Sometime the most simple pieces are spectacular in their simplicity

I agree, you can't beat a nice simple, clean design for something. Great job on the table.

Victor Stearns
10-26-2008, 9:06 PM
Anthony,
AMAZING! It is always nice to see a very well constructed table. This is why I like the Creek, We can post even what we may ourselves think as less than others, but the response of the inLaws says it all! Please keep up the good work.
Victor

Scott Rollins
10-26-2008, 9:56 PM
Great work! I would suggest simple lines on your chairs. Don't worry about turning anything for that table. It looks alot like my oak tables. I too have a difficult time with filling the grain without grain filler and alot of sanding. I have tried bullseye shellac and sanding completely out then repeat and sand completely out. then appply 3 coats BEHLEN Rockhard Table Top Varnish. Sanding between coats and it is mostly smooth and flat. That finishing schedule takes about 4 days though:confused:. The varnish takes forever to dry!

Anthony Watson
10-27-2008, 8:56 AM
Scott,

I would suggest simple lines on your chairs.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar to the design of the table itself. But, I've never made chairs before so I really need to give those some thought before I dive in. :)

Anthony

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2008, 9:23 AM
Anthony, very nice work! I'm glad you signed it as it has now become a family heirloom!