PDA

View Full Version : Delta 1460 1948 Model

Rob Mathis
10-23-2008, 8:07 PM
What is one of these worth, It looks complete and has some tools too.

Rob Mathis
10-23-2008, 8:23 PM
Picture included

He wants 350 - 375 for this.

Dick Strauss
10-23-2008, 8:46 PM
IMHO I'd suggest the $100-150 range would be more reasonable. The tools look to be carbon steel (they will need to be sharpened more often). Modern tools are HSS or better. The cast iron legs are a positive but the small swing and speed range are negatives (good for mostly spindles and small diameter bowls). My buddy has one that was in perfect condition he picked up for $100.

I'm no expert but just going on what I see locally. Your area may not have as many used lathes coming to market.

Good luck,
Dick

Rob Mathis
10-23-2008, 9:27 PM
I have seen about 2 a week hitting for sale. That is not many. Others that hit are a lot more.

Wilbur Pan
10-23-2008, 11:29 PM
There are two ways to look at pricing for used equipment.

The first is to think like a used equipment dealer, which is where the "I won't pay more than $xxx for that used lathe because I know a guy who only paid $xxx for that lathe."

The second is to look at it from the point of view of someone who is just looking to outfit his shop. In this case, think of what it would cost to get a new lathe with a 12" swing with 36" between centers. The Jet 1236 goes for $600-800. The Delta you're looking at is going to be a better built machine in terms of the castings used, and personally, I'd rather deal with step pulleys than the Reeves drive in the Jet 1236.

The last thing to consider is that should you ever decide to upgrade or dump your lathe, you'll probably get what you paid for it, in which case your cost for the lathe is pretty much nothing.

Rob Mathis
10-24-2008, 7:01 PM
Sell a tool?

Your kidding me right?

My kids are going to have to figure out what to do with them being I will not be able to take them to the other side with me. ( laugh )

But that is a good point.

Thank you.

tim mathis
10-24-2008, 7:16 PM
Sell a tool?

Your kidding me right?

My kids are going to have to figure out what to do with them being I will not be able to take them to the other side with me. ( laugh )

We have to be related.

tim mathis

Rob Mathis
10-24-2008, 8:35 PM
Sell a tool?

Your kidding me right?

We have to be related.

tim mathis

I am sure we are!

We breed like rabbits.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi Rob, these are very nice lathes, and simple, a couple of bearings and a belt is about all there ever needs to be replaced, and yes 50 years from now they are still just as solid as today.
However around here in the state this one looks like to be in (dirty and some rust) they would fetch something like $200.-- to $250.--, maybe $300.--, so yes the price is a little on the high side, question is are you able to get a complete unit like that, and for less in your area, as they are not plenty-full and down right scarce in some areas.
And $350.-- doesn't buy you a whole lot of new lathe, and certainly not in the quality these were made in.
Just my 2 cents :) :D

Rob Mathis
10-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks Leo!

There is something to be said about old iron.

My shop is a mixture of old and new. And the truth be told the old is better equipment then the new. I am going to see if I can get it for the lesser number but being I am in the nation capitol.......... metro area I will most likely pony up the money to get the toy.
I will know more Monday for sure.

Rob Mathis
10-27-2008, 9:56 PM
Ok well this is the Monday update.

Sale price $250.00

Pictures as follows.

Wilbur Pan
10-28-2008, 10:25 AM
That cross slide toolrest was a huge steal, even if you had paid the $350 that the seller originally wanted.

Bill Bolen
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Rob: Looks like you did well. Spend a few days cleaning it up so you can get it dirty all over again!...Bill..

Gordon Seto
10-28-2008, 1:35 PM
Before the fuel cost went crazy, that pair of cast iron legs would worth well over $100 on EBay.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-28-2008, 5:39 PM
Nice Rob, I knew some came with the cross-slide, but I never saw one up close, that makes it a good deal and well worth the money you paid.
Worth cleaning her all up and then have fun turning, take care ;-)))

Ed Costello
10-28-2008, 7:35 PM
Google "spooge" tank. That is what the cross slide needs. The balance ball cranks are easily replaced. The cross slide restored brings about $200 You did well. I love mine. Check out the Delta 1460 lathes at OWWM.com

Good luck
Ed

Dick Strauss
10-28-2008, 9:03 PM
Rob,
I agree with others...You did really well to get all that stuff for $250! I know I originally suggested the price was high. However, I didn't know you were getting a cross-slide as well. Cross-slides that fit wood lathes seem to be hard to find based on my experience. You got a good combo wood/metal lathe there.

I stand corrected...well done sir!

FYI-I think Enco has handles for your slide. Try use-enco.com...

Enjoy your score and thanks for sharing,
Dick

Rob Mathis
10-28-2008, 9:05 PM
I could not believe when the seller pulled out the cross feed table. I looked at it and then turned back to the lathe. Trying to hide my excitement. I was going to buy the lathe as was. and I had $375 in cash ....... I focused on the tail stock and the cost to fix it. It was tight and the crank was off of the shaft. So then I gave him my offer based on the condition. I kept telling him it was going to cost me a hundred bucks to replace the tail stock if I had to do it. He countered and I took it.

:)

So my wife said Oh I see why you cleaned your shop this weekend.

Mark Fox
09-27-2009, 9:27 PM
I just paid $400.00 for this one with all the attachments... The Delta 1460 is an Awsome lathe.

Mark

Paul Atkins
09-28-2009, 2:08 AM
I have two set up and they are my go-to lathes for quick and easy turnings. Mine are both 1954 versions and one has a duplicator set up on it which I'm trying to get used to. The original bearings from Delta are pricey, but a bearing place has suitable replacements. I have two cross slides but I have a metal lathe so I don't need the cross slide for metal, but if you need to bore an accurate hole they work great in wood too.

Jeff Nicol
09-28-2009, 6:03 AM
Rob, The other day I went and looked at a PM90 that the guy wanted $300 for. It was missing the quill out of the tailstock and was pretty rusty. THe reeves drive was apart and no tools! I sure wish it would have been a delta like what you just bought! It would be in my shop right now! You lucky dog!! Have fun with the old iron!

Jeff