PDA

View Full Version : Local Sayings: "I'm all over it like..."

Todd Burch
05-22-2004, 9:04 AM
In another thread, I used a couple phrases that I've used over the years, referring to how I give attention to something, by saying:

"I'm all over it like a duck on a june bug", Or, "I'm all over it like mayonaise on a bologna sandwich.", or "I'm all over it like stink on (feces)" :eek:

Keeping this clean (please), what phrases have you used or have you heard to portray this same emphasis, starting out with "I'm all over it like..."?

I think we'll get some fun responses. Todd :)

Billy Reynolds
05-22-2004, 9:27 AM
Spent 25 years in south Louisiana ( Cajun Country). I have heard the cajuns say many times, "I'm all over it like white on rice". :D

Waymon Campbell
05-22-2004, 9:35 AM
Todd - My personal favorite is " I'm all over it like sauce on ribs". Which reminds me...I think I'll BBQ tonite.

Tyler Howell
05-22-2004, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Todd Burch] I'm all over it like stink on (feces)" :eek:

Stink on, and flys on, your organic matter gets a workout around here.
I've tried the white on rice but it just don't go over. go fiqure:p
"Got your back", and "on it" are my trendy, upscale words of attention and support.;)

John Miliunas
05-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Well, being in the IT industry, at least in my neck o' da woods, "On the same page" is heard a LOT! OK, that and, "Why the Hell is THAT service running?!" :eek: :cool:

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Folks
Being "perfect in every way" it's hard to think of a phrase that we use around southwestern Pennsylvania that reflects a "local" oxymoron.
We do have our "local" words
downtoweln or dahntahn - we went down town (around here that refers to down town Pittsburgh or "inner city"
dahn - down
pooosh - we pushed (poooshed) the car dahn the street.
chimley - chimney
gumban - rubber band
jumbo - bologna or chipped lunch meat
keller or kellar - whats that color
nebby - are you being nosey or why are you butting into my business
Pixburg - Pittsburgh
splain - explain
redd up - to clean up or did you redd up yet?
slippy - is the road slippery? Is the road slippy?
pop - I'm sure thursty for a soda (pop).
worsh or wersh - wash (worsh) your hands.
zampl - I understand your example (zampl)
yunz - all of you

Daniel :D

Ken Garlock
05-22-2004, 11:55 AM
In the movie Romancing the Stone, Danny Devito told the hero that he would be ALL OVER HIM LIKE A CHEAP SUIT.

Tony Falotico
05-22-2004, 1:03 PM
........ like fleas on a hown dawg

Jason Roehl
05-22-2004, 4:26 PM
So are we limited to ones we've heard or can we make 'em up and start using them?

I'd say, "I'm all over it like sausage gravy on biscuits."

Hmm....now I'm hungry again.

I'm all over it like bird doo on a shiny car....

or,
I'm all over it like Steve Clardy (or Jenkins!) on a clamp sale... :D

Martin Shupe
05-22-2004, 9:10 PM
I grew up mostly in Houston, but spent 7 years of my life in deep East Texas, going to forestry school. In ET, when people are getting ready to do something, they are "fixin to" do it. Example: "I'm fixin to go to the store, do ya'll need anything?"

I've got the greatest mother-in-law in the world, and she lives in Borger, Texas which is northeast of Amarillo, in the Texas panhandle. If you ask her what she did all day, she will say something like "I've just been ginnin' around the house, trying to get ready for company this weekend." I once asked her where the term "ginnin" came from, and she was not sure. My wife uses it all the time, and now I do too. Has anyone else heard of this before?

Dennis Peacock
05-22-2004, 10:31 PM
I've got the greatest mother-in-law in the world, and she lives in Borger, Texas which is northeast of Amarillo, in the Texas panhandle. If you ask her what she did all day, she will say something like "I've just been ginnin' around the house, trying to get ready for company this weekend." I once asked her where the term "ginnin" came from, and she was not sure. My wife uses it all the time, and now I do too. Has anyone else heard of this before?

How about "junnin" around the house? Ya know, like a bunch of June-Bugs flitterin' around the house. Used to imply extremely busy or lots of company over today. "I've been junnin round the house all day long with Uncle Joe and his family over." or "I've been sprang cleanin all day, just a junnin tryin' to get it done."

Yea....we are always "fixin' to go or do somethin" heard all the time here in the south.

Fur peece - long distance from here...he lives a fur peece from here.
adder-whil - I'll be there adder-whil (after while).

How about:
She was smilin' at me "like a possum chewing on sawbrars.!"
He was smilin' "like a gopher in soft dirt."

David Wilson
05-23-2004, 3:51 PM
In Minnesota we sometimes hear " Like Oly on Lina"

Greg Tatum
05-23-2004, 4:32 PM
Folks
Being "perfect in every way" it's hard to think of a phrase that we use around southwestern Pennsylvania that reflects a "local" oxymoron.
We do have our "local" words
downtoweln or dahntahn - we went down town (around here that refers to down town Pittsburgh or "inner city"
dahn - down
pooosh - we pushed (poooshed) the car dahn the street.
chimley - chimney
gumban - rubber band
jumbo - bologna or chipped lunch meat
keller or kellar - whats that color
nebby - are you being nosey or why are you butting into my business
Pixburg - Pittsburgh
splain - explain
redd up - to clean up or did you redd up yet?
slippy - is the road slippery? Is the road slippy?
pop - I'm sure thursty for a soda (pop).
worsh or wersh - wash (worsh) your hands.
zampl - I understand your example (zampl)
yunz - all of you

Daniel :D
Hey Daniel....I spent my summers in New Brighton/ Rochester area with my Mom's folks and being from Georgia I always teased 'em about that Allegany accent :D
I still say "Redd Up".....
Greg

Ken Garlock
05-23-2004, 4:38 PM
... How about:
She was smilin' at me "like a possum chewing on sawbrars.!"
He was smilin' "like a gopher in soft dirt."

Dennis, up north they say "grin'in like possum in persimmon tree." Did you ever taste an unripened persimmon? It will pucker you up for the rest of the day :eek:

Steve Jenkins
05-23-2004, 5:37 PM
So are we limited to ones we've heard or can we make 'em up and start using them?

I'd say, "I'm all over it like sausage gravy on biscuits."

Hmm....now I'm hungry again.

I'm all over it like bird doo on a shiny car....

or,
I'm all over it like Steve Clardy (or Jenkins!) on a clamp sale... :D

I guess it could be worse:>)

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2004, 6:00 PM
Dennis, up north they say "grin'in like possum in persimmon tree." Did you ever taste an unripened persimmon? It will pucker you up for the rest of the day :eek:

Hey Ken....

That reminds me of: That made my mouth draw up like purse strings! :D

Michael Barry
05-23-2004, 8:46 PM
My daughter up at USF would say " Like frat boys on a keg. "

Steve Evans
05-23-2004, 9:36 PM
I love the dialect the folks use in Newfoundland. One that made me laugh one night "By Jesus she fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down"

Jack Wood
05-23-2004, 9:53 PM
Well when I was young, people in the rural community I lived in, north Alabama, would say: "I'm all over that like ants at a picnic". I'm new to forum and woodworking but this looks like a good place to learn from. Looking forward to reading y'alls post.:)

Mike Leonard
05-24-2004, 7:03 AM
"All over it like a pitbull on a ham bone."

Dan Smith
05-24-2004, 8:07 AM
On it like stick on tape has always been a favorite for me. And of course for leaving.... off like a prom dress.... or out of hair like a bald man always worked.

Two sayings local to where I grew up (Clinton County NY in the Adirondacks) that have always stuck with my brothers and I were...

"Sure Frank!" Which was said to anyone who was suspected of streching the truth. Supposedly because a man by the name of Frank Rock who lived in our town was an incredible liar. People used this phrase even a few towns over.

The other could have been the "upstate" bird. The Jesum Crow. Which was said by many instead of jesus christ during fits of anger. As in; "Jesum Crow, I just his my finger with the hammer!!!"

-dan

Brian Hale
05-28-2004, 9:21 PM
From a friend Down Under... Well thats a gert dollop of ploppies
and Mucking about in your wellies

For the less than bright ones...One fry short of a happy meal

For the new guy at work..... Welcome to the logic free zone

Jim Ketron
05-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Ive been busyer than a one armed paper hanger

busyer than a cat covering up poop

POKE paper bag
Dope soda pop
BRITCHES pants
BLOOMERS ladies underwear
ROASTIN EAR corn on the cob
Jim

Ken Garlock
05-30-2004, 2:21 PM
Ive been busyer than a one armed paper hanger

busyer than a cat covering up poop

POKE paper bag
Dope soda pop
BRITCHES pants
BLOOMERS ladies underwear
ROASTIN EAR corn on the cob
Jim

Jim, how about:

Busier than a cat scratching on a tin roof.

Busier than a one-legged man in an a** kicking contest.

Mark Singer
05-30-2004, 4:42 PM
"Toes on the nose" local surf rap

Christopher Pine
05-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Like the cable guy... forget his name... he is on that blue callor comedy tour show... "git er done"

Gary Whitt
06-01-2004, 2:51 PM
I'm all over it like Tyler Howell on a newbie! :D :eek: ;)

Chris Padilla
06-01-2004, 3:30 PM
Lmao!!!!!!

Larry Browning
06-01-2004, 4:18 PM
How about "ugly on a bear"