PDA

View Full Version : Disston Porter Lathe Chisels

Richard Chan
10-23-2008, 3:20 PM
Hi

I'm new in the world of wood turner. I just picked up a set of turning tools from Ebay and I was wondering if I over paid($49+9 for shipping). I know it's too late but.... I put a bid in a day before I went on vacation and won. I got them in yesterday and they do look unused a little rust and no pitting and they are full size tools

TIA

Richard

DISSTON WOOD TURNING CHISEL SET - FOUND THIS OLD SET OF 8 DIFFERENT PIECES, NEVER USED - IN ORIGINAL BOX - ALL WOOD HANDLES ARE STAMPED IN RED WITH THE NAME: DISSTON PORTER USA - THE BLADES ARE AS FOLLOWS: 1 inch skew, 1/2 inch skew, 1/2 parting tool, 1/2 spear point tool, 1/4 gouge, 1/2 gouge, 1/2 round nose, 3/4 gouge - ALL BLADES ARE LIKE NEW, NEVER SHARPENED

David Walser
10-23-2008, 3:31 PM
Are the tools made out of high speed steel (HSS)? If so, you probably did alright. If they are made out of high carbon steel (which was the standard a little more than a decade ago), you didn't do too badly.

Richard Chan
10-23-2008, 3:40 PM
I don't know if it is HSS or high carbon steel. Anyway to tell?

Ron Ainge
10-23-2008, 4:42 PM
You can tell the difference between HSS and Carbon Steel by the sparks that the steel give off when you sharpen them. The HSS give off a white color spark and the Carbon Steel give off a more yello/orange color.

Scott Hubl
10-23-2008, 4:50 PM
Most likely,
If they weren't advertised as being High Speed Steel, they are Not.
You could have bought the HF HSS set for about the same cost.

As Bill Grumbine says in one of his DVD's about high carbon steel tools, if you "blue" it while sharpening, just throw it away.
By the time you try grinding it to get past the blueing you'll only blue it again and aggrevate yourself.

If they are HSS you did ok.

Yes you can use high carbon steel tools but you have to grind them so very carefully to Avoid blueing them, keep water next to your grinder and douse them often while grinding.( no water dousing for HSS tools)

HSS and the newer metals are just so much easier these days.

Sorry I can't just "sugar coat" things and just say wow you did great enjoy the new tools. This is were doing your research befor you buy pays off. I hope they end up being HSS for you.

Andrew Derhammer
10-23-2008, 5:21 PM
Carbon steel still has it's place. Much finer of a cut, the more frequent sharpening is made up for by the finish left by carbon steel.

Richard Chan
10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the information. Now all I have to do is sharpen all those tools.

Paul Engle
10-24-2008, 3:04 PM
Diston makes very good HSS for planers etc, I have/ had a 16" x 5/8" planer blade reground for cutoff tooling, one scraper blade, etc. If you got HSS you got lucky as they will serve you very well.

robert hainstock
10-24-2008, 5:28 PM
I suspect they will be HSS, diston made quality sawblades for a long time.:):)
Bob