PDA

View Full Version : What 2nd bevel for #4 plane?

Jacob Reverb
10-23-2008, 3:06 PM
What secondary bevel do you folks use when sharpening the irons for your #4 smoothing planes?

I always did 25° and 30° for my #4, #5 and #7 (basically all my main planes) but my #4 often sees some "rougher" work than my jointer or my Record jack plane (my baby).

Anyway, today I was planing a door that someone had driven a nail into and nicked the BEJESUS outta the iron on my #4. OUCH! :eek:

After spending 40 min on the diamond plate and waterstones, I'm wondering whether I ought to go to 25° and 35° or something like that for the #4.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jacob

lowell holmes
10-23-2008, 3:15 PM
I would keep an extra iron for use on rough stock.

Terry Beadle
10-24-2008, 8:34 AM
The angle is important. You could do a 35 with a 40 miro but you would have to work harder to plane. The nail is a problem no angle can solve. I think the way you have been doing it is fine. If the plane is doing the work you want it to, then it's probably set right. A #4 is really a smoother and not really for door adjustments to the door opening ( if that's what you are doing ). If you are rebuilding a door, I'd still stay with a 30 and a micro bevel of 37. That would give you toughness but not make it so hard to work with.

I'd recommend buying an old jack woodie off the bay for $15 and use it for door adjustment type work. If you hit a nail, the blade can be resharpened and if it really breaks a big chip, you are still not out big bucks ( like a Hock ).

My 2 cents ( and worth every penny! Hoot! )

Orlando Gonzalez
10-24-2008, 1:17 PM
It is my understanding that a micro-bevel on a bevel down plane will not accomplish what you want. However, adding a 10* to 15* back bevel to it will increase the cutting angle between 55* and 60*. This would allow you to plane more difficult woods without significant tearout. Micro bevels will increase the cutting angles on BU planes like LN/LV BU Jacks & Smoothers and block planes.

OG

Jacob Reverb
10-24-2008, 1:32 PM
Thanks, everyone. Good ideas.

Jim Koepke
10-25-2008, 7:11 PM
I agree with Orlando on the back bevel for difficult grain and with Lowell on having extra blades. It is convenient to be able to quickly change a blade instead of having to stop and sharpen. It is also nice to have some cambered if one is into that and the others for fine smoothing. For my most used planes, #4 & 5, there are at least two of each in the shop.

I have an extra blade for almost everyone of my used planes.

jim