PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine Jig install questions

Brian Brown
10-23-2008, 2:26 PM
SWMBO bought me a Wolverine jig for my birthday, and in order to use it, I have to redo the garage with new placement for my tools. Because I get to start from scratch, does anyone have any advice on how high to mount my grinder (8") from the floor to make this jig the most convienient to use?? If it matters, I am 5'11", and my elboe height is about 43" from the floor.

Greg Stanford
10-23-2008, 2:38 PM
Mine is set up so that the grinder is the same height as the lathe. Seems to work well for me.

g

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2008, 2:43 PM
Brian - I built my own stand and have it 44 1/2" high which puts the center of the grinding wheels at 51". I'm 5' 10" and just don't like to bend over any more than I have to - plus - it allows me to see the grind as I am sharpening the tool.

Raymond Overman
10-23-2008, 2:57 PM
I just moved my homemade one up from standard height table and I think it works much better. I can see the angle of the grind without having to bend over.

David Walser
10-23-2008, 3:35 PM
Brian,

Lyle Jameison suggests your grinder should be at the same height as your lathe.

Sounds like you've a great SWMBO! Have fun with your new toy.

Duff Bement
10-23-2008, 3:43 PM
I have mine mounted at almost chest high. It makes it much easier to see with my bifocals. One of the best projects I taken the time to do. My sharpening has been greatly improved. I also believe that it important to keep it close to lathe just for convience sake.

Kurt Bird
10-23-2008, 5:27 PM
I agree, having the grinder mounted so you are working at or slightly below your chest height makes it much easier to see the angles that are important, and it forces you to allow the grinding wheel to do the work. IMHO, of course!:)
Kurt

Bob Hallowell
10-23-2008, 8:14 PM
I recently raised mine to just below chest height and like it much better.
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2008, 8:22 PM
I have mine the same height as my lathe. Works well there.

Joe Mioux
10-23-2008, 8:38 PM
I stuck a couple pieces of plywood under the grinder, tossed it up on my work bench and called it good. The grinder and wolverine jig is on my left hand side as I stand at the lathe.

I never thought much about ergonomics of the grinder since I don't work at it as a production business, i.e. stand there 8 hours a day.

I suppose it is around 42 inches (ish) off the ground. I am 5.10.5., with shoes 5.11. ;)

joe